Video process on Scratchbuild Kits

A forum to talk about toy customization, ask for tips, and learn about techniques.
digitalmunky

Video process on Scratchbuild Kits

Post by digitalmunky » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:22 am

Hey guys and gals...

I was browsin' around the web and I came across a very kewl set of videos on scratchbuilding of resin figure kits... For those looking to learn more about the process, and even though the video may not be in a language you understand, this is a great set of videos to watch... This is video #1 of 9... Have fun.

Scratchbuild 1 of 9

***Signature goes here***

Zbiz

Post by Zbiz » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:28 pm

wow... this actually made me smile with satisfaction. A breath of fresh air in youtube. I actually learned something rather than seeing a bunch of drunk college idiots doing dumb stuff. A+++++ \:D/
www.tailreptiles.com <- my other addiction

Shauni55

Post by Shauni55 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:13 pm

still gotta love hobo fights
Ryan172 wrote:
IgorVentura wrote:100% yes.

I think when the guy in Brazil votes 100% yes, it's pretty safe to say that you can close the polls.

FREE Bomb Cat Giveaway
http://forums.kidrobot.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=248951

digitalmunky

Post by digitalmunky » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:59 pm

Zbiz wrote:wow... this actually made me smile with satisfaction. A breath of fresh air in youtube. I actually learned something rather than seeing a bunch of drunk college idiots doing dumb stuff. A+++++ \:D/

Even though I don't know Japanese, I learned a bit as well... However, I wish I knew what the hell the sculpting compound they were using is. I've had a hard time find it. I even looked up the item numbers listed on the cans/tubes... Oh well, hopefully I'll learn what it is soon enough.

work3

Post by work3 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:38 pm

japanese scratch builders use sculpey a lot.

digitalmunky

Post by digitalmunky » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:50 pm

work3 wrote:japanese scratch builders use sculpey a lot.

If you watched this video... you'll quickly learn that it isn't Sculpey (or any other oven bake clay). It's either some form of epoxy or poly resin I think (or something similar). This isn't just some ordinary scratch figure it's actually some studio production model that was scratch built (though another base figure was used during its production).

Misterine

Post by Misterine » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:16 pm

amazing

[ Added: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:18 pm ]
whats that tool?

the one thats like this

(o)==l____l

that circle part spins its a dermal?
Good People/buyers/sellers/traders
streakzzZZ,f451,lucidruthie,LabbitHutch
Dunny,notsam,MfMunny,orlowone,Rebound,ns3d, chelseacandy,captainplastic,Dunn Da-Da ,mzkaydi,N_roboy12, wELiKeItRaW119, JJ,SecurityGeek, Nakanari,PhatBastard,
phaughey,smorkin_love,adigitalcure,MrMongoose, Icon84,kidstartexas,The Boy Wunder, Shauni55,nerbous,uhmski, the naked one
Sign Here If you love lucky cats
dream came true

too long
http://forums.kidrobot.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=148684

digitalmunky

Post by digitalmunky » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:19 pm

Misterine wrote:amazing

[ Added: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:18 pm ]
whats that tool?

the one thats like this

(o)==l____l

that circle part spins its a dermal?

I believe it's just the standard cutting disc... I think it just has a build up of resin (and/or other material) on it... But, I guess it's possible that it's some kind of a ceramic disc I've never seen or heard about before...

grimsheep

Post by grimsheep » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:29 am

Much coolness. Be sure to post if you ever find out what that wonderful goop is ;)
grimsheep.net
Happy transactions with: LLslickD, MOODSWING7, TungTLe, Devours, chinoexhale, mikeyle, ddokbaro, Buellster, DaniTofuhead, irrelevant, vinyljustice, codedecoinc, Yates, Vuitton, Dunn Da-Da, Tequilasunrise, spade, ism, sgolby, JayJayFool, ieatkr4yonz, Krakit, Del730, Stabitha Snarl, Quest1, gmiddleswarth, wastemoremoney, Mr. Balanzza, arc, chronic, Sykogrl, Draifet, Wooly, Krash, 1V1ARTIN, mANNEe, nvs03lex, dunnybunny, Vinylassasin, Moonshot, Lfarnc, vinyltoyz, pandabandit12

digitalmunky

Post by digitalmunky » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:36 am

grimsheep wrote:Much coolness. Be sure to post if you ever find out what that wonderful goop is ;)

From what I've found it... It's most likely Poly Putty (Polyester body filler). But, I can't be certain at what ratios of putty to hardener. I know Tamiya (model supplies brand) makes a small tube of the stuff but, you're likely to need more than a small tube of the stuff to create a custom with it. I'm still researching to see if I can find just the right stuff.

devilot

Post by devilot » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:32 pm

Work makes a few polyester types of putty that I used to use in my model robot scratch building days. I believe one is called Sube Sube (yes, twice), one is Doro Doro, and the other is Mori Mori.

Some Putties at HLJ

Mori Mori is by far my favorite polyester putty to date. It is far superior to Tamiya's in my opinion. Sube Sube is typically used for complete scratch builds, by the way. Mori Mori is more of a filler/rebuilder type putty.
"We are the slime that kicks in the dirt. We are the plague spreading through the world. We are the disease, the virus eating away. We are no one, we're just living to die." - Living to Die - Hypocrisy

digitalmunky

!

Post by digitalmunky » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:41 pm

devilot wrote:Work makes a few polyester types of putty that I used to use in my model robot scratch building days. I believe one is called Sube Sube (yes, twice), one is Doro Doro, and the other is Mori Mori.

Some Putties at HLJ

Mori Mori is by far my favorite polyester putty to date. It is far superior to Tamiya's in my opinion. Sube Sube is typically used for complete scratch builds, by the way. Mori Mori is more of a filler/rebuilder type putty.

Nice!!! :rock: Thanks for the info. =D>

mr.brian

Post by mr.brian » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:12 pm

These videos are hands down the best I've ever watched.

About the putty they are using to build the custom, they're using poly putty. You can get any auto body filler, like Bondo - it's similar to what they're using. It's cheap and comes in tubs (or tubes). Use in well ventilated area and wear a face mask when sanding. In the video they don't seem to be doing either.

If you want finer grade that's made for modeling, try Tamiya Poly Putty, as suggested earlier.

mr.brian
superhypemonster.com

digitalmunky

Post by digitalmunky » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:01 am

mr.brian wrote:These videos are hands down the best I've ever watched.

About the putty they are using to build the custom, they're using poly putty. You can get any auto body filler, like Bondo - it's similar to what they're using. It's cheap and comes in tubs (or tubes). Use in well ventilated area and wear a face mask when sanding. In the video they don't seem to be doing either.

If you want finer grade that's made for modeling, try Tamiya Poly Putty, as suggested earlier.

mr.brian

I believe they're using small spray booths (often used by airbrush artists and hobbyists) that has some sort of a central pump to draw out the air... I've already been working out some ideas in my head regarding the concept.

devilot

Post by devilot » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:56 pm

mr.brian wrote:

mr.brian

Bondo, and pretty much everything else I have used (that was polyester putty or similar to it) is much better than Tamiya's polyester putty. Tamiya's polyester putty is great for a filler, but it shrinks enough to be a nuisance otherwise in my opinion.

Edit: I always prefer the polyester putties that you have to mix with a hardener because you can control the hardness/dry time (to an extent) of the putty. Tamiya will stay rubbery for a long time and even after setting up for over 48 hours there were times where it retained the rubbery feel which does not lend itself well to sanding at all. Bear in mind I live in Alabama and the humidity here is definitely working against you at all times. So that alone may be why I had mediocre results from Tamiya's polyester putty. However, I tried using it at various times over a period of about five years in case I was buying from a bad batch. I never achieved very good results. This is why I went to ordering the Works putties directly from Japan. Unfortunately the only two places I ever found Works putty was Hobby Link Japan and RainbowTen. Not that either of those places are bad, I love them both, but shipping time on small items from Japan, since neither use UPS anymore, can be extremely drawn out.
"We are the slime that kicks in the dirt. We are the plague spreading through the world. We are the disease, the virus eating away. We are no one, we're just living to die." - Living to Die - Hypocrisy