forum home kr home

Kidrobot Discussion Boards

Welcome to the best place on the web to talk about urban vinyl toys, plush, mini-figures, toy-art, toy artists, collecting, customs, & more!

It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:57 pm 

I don't know how many people remember this anymore, but Dunny Series 2 contained — within the blind box assortment — 6 unique hand-painted Dunnys. This was essentially the first 'golden ticket' and the artists who made them were never revealed. In fact, talking with folks who worked at Kidrobot at the time, none remembered who did all six! But, with two months worth of perseverance, I was able to track down who all six artists were. If you want to see the pieces and find out who the artists were, read on…
https://coartmag.com/news/feature/dunny-series-2-super-secrets/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:10 pm 

Loved reading that article! It would be amazing if Kidrobot decided to pay homage to that series and repeated the blind assortment of hand painted pieces in a future series!

redmutuca.com

huck gee wrote:
Great stuff!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:30 pm 

IgorVentura wrote:
Loved reading that article! It would be amazing if Kidrobot decided to pay homage to that series and repeated the blind assortment of hand painted pieces in a future series!

Absolutely! It would be totally fun if they did something like this again.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:29 pm 

Great article!

I never heard about these. I really wish they would do it again since its such a great concept. Maybe more hand painted ones will appear.

Great Sellers: halfapparition, noeleaser, belfinatorzz111, (nice dream), paulzdeep, 666ways2love, rjxdang, w33zy16, cmk802, QUASIMO, Ath, fast1590, kgyure, mavxb3, DexDexign, MattPower, delicious62
Great Buyers: Counterbalance
Great Trades: DManTX, MattPower
Muled for: patrick40, ShizRobot, kgyure

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:56 pm 

Bravo, nice work finding this info! I'd only seen rumor-ish stuff about them, but glad to know the scoop!

Question is, do I put them in Dunnydex since they're essentially (probably impossible to locate) one-off customs? The completist in me would be sad to see my complete series 2 set suddenly missing 6 impossible items. Open to suggestions on that.

On an unrelated note, I still haven't added the Batman series to Dunnydex, kinda waiting to see if I ever get a request from anyone :rolleyes:

http://dunnydex.com
http://madebyforbes.com
https://www.instagram.com/the_jfo/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:17 pm 

delicious62 wrote:
Question is, do I put them in Dunnydex since they're essentially (probably impossible to locate) one-off customs? The completist in me would be sad to see my complete series 2 set suddenly missing 6 impossible items. Open to suggestions on that.

You might as well. I think AllVinyls has had this info on their site for quite a while

Transactions/References

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:50 pm 

QTPie wrote:
Great article! I never heard about these. I really wish they would do it again since its such a great concept. Maybe more hand painted ones will appear.

Thanks! And I hope so too. I understand why they had to stop doing the proper Golden Tickets, due to legal concerns, but things like this inside random blind boxes seems completely plausible. Of course, I'm not a lawyer, so… who knows.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:53 pm 

delicious62 wrote:
Bravo, nice work finding this info! I'd only seen rumor-ish stuff about them, but glad to know the scoop!

Thanks! It was literally about two months of talking with various people who worked at KR at the time as well as artists who were associated with them around then to uncover all six. It was a LOT of work, but I smiled for about a full day after I finally identified the sixth and final one! :D

delicious62 wrote:

Well, that becomes a weird question, really. They were promoted as part of Dunny Series 2, but no reference to them was made on the outside of the box. Unless you consider the one Dunny outline filled with three question marks to refer to these as a whole as well as to the Sket One variant.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:55 pm 

therealchinaman wrote:
I think AllVinyls has had this info on their site for quite a while

Yes, AllVinyls had all six listed, but without artists except in two or three cases, one of which was actually wrong. Though I see Paul is on top of things and has them all listed now with the artist now. You're welcome, Paul! :P

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:44 am 

great piece! thanks for the investigative work to set this straight.
here's where it also came up in more recent discussion:
http://forums.kidrobot.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=253516

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:09 am 

slals wrote:
great piece! thanks for the investigative work to set this straight.

You're most welcome! It was fun to stretch those investigative journalist muscles again. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:18 am 

Wait wait. Why did they have to stop golden tickets?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:53 am 

Oisterboy wrote:
Wait wait. Why did they have to stop golden tickets?

You're going to have to wait until my in-depth coverage of the Golden Tickets. :P

In all seriousness, my understanding was that it was a legal concern. If you're offering an instant win mail-in (or redemption) prize, which the Golden Tickets were, then you have to offer a way for people to enter without purchasing. It's why there's always that "No purchase necessary. To enter without purchase, mail blah blah blah to blah blah blah with…" You get the idea. It's not the companies being kind, it's something they legally have to offer. And the cost of employee hours to sort through this mail, devise a manner in which these mail-in people could potentially win, and then reply to them, would've just been too expensive for Kidrobot.

At least, this is my recollection of why they stopped offering Golden Ticket and shifted to case exclusives and the one Build-a-Dunny attempt. If anyone knows differently, please correct me.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:15 pm 

Ugh. Stupid red tape. I loved golden tickets. And the build a dunny.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:37 pm 

Oisterboy wrote:
Ugh. Stupid red tape. I loved golden tickets. And the build a dunny.

Me too. I thought Golden Tickets were great, even though I sadly never scored one. And the Build-a-Dunny was a great concept, including making the heart a rarer element for people to chase for.