forum home kr home

Kidrobot Discussion Boards

Welcome to the best place on the web to talk about urban vinyl toys, plush, mini-figures, toy-art, toy artists, collecting, customs, & more!

It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:53 am 

anyone else heard this series rumor??

:rock:

"total disgrace, alot of artists have been screwed by mindstyle, this is a claim that can be backed up BIGTIME!. In fact we could write a book on it! I don't have a grudge cause my situation has been done n gone, but i know of many other HUNGRY people wanting to produce work who will never see what they so rightly deserve, payment and samples, and whatever mindstyle decides to do with your art...you will have no say or control"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:01 pm 

Unless it's artist interpretations I'm not on board at all. Keep dunnys more art centered and stay away from licenses please. I'm fine with all the KR licenses stuff, just stay away from licensed Dunnys.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:39 pm 

chorus wrote:
Unless it's artist interpretations I'm not on board at all. Keep dunnys more art centered and stay away from licenses please. I'm fine with all the KR licenses stuff, just stay away from licensed Dunnys.

I kind of agree with you. The Warhol Dunnys were fine since it kept the art focus, but a DC licensed series might be a little too "Funko" for me.

That being said, if it was more artistic interpretations of Batman that might be an interesting direction.

Great Sellers: halfapparition, noeleaser, belfinatorzz111, (nice dream), paulzdeep, 666ways2love, rjxdang, w33zy16, cmk802, QUASIMO, Ath, fast1590, kgyure, mavxb3, DexDexign, MattPower, delicious62
Great Buyers: Counterbalance
Great Trades: DManTX, MattPower
Muled for: patrick40, ShizRobot, kgyure

Last edited by QTPie on Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:52 pm 

QTPie wrote:
chorus wrote:

I kind of agree with you. The Warhol Dunnys were fine since it kept the art focus, but a DC licensed series might be a little too "Funko" for me.

That being said, if it was more artistic interpretations of Batman that might be interesting direction.

what about a Wonder Woman?

"total disgrace, alot of artists have been screwed by mindstyle, this is a claim that can be backed up BIGTIME!. In fact we could write a book on it! I don't have a grudge cause my situation has been done n gone, but i know of many other HUNGRY people wanting to produce work who will never see what they so rightly deserve, payment and samples, and whatever mindstyle decides to do with your art...you will have no say or control"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:01 pm 

I try not to judge any concepts until I've seen them in action, so I'll keep in a open mind.

I feel like the world could use some more Wonder Woman though, so maybe its what we need.

Great Sellers: halfapparition, noeleaser, belfinatorzz111, (nice dream), paulzdeep, 666ways2love, rjxdang, w33zy16, cmk802, QUASIMO, Ath, fast1590, kgyure, mavxb3, DexDexign, MattPower, delicious62

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:47 am 

I can tell you 100% I will not buy these,I just honestly can't see it. I'm not a batman fan I'm an art fan and I don't want a bunch of Batman figures. I hope this helps the dunny brand and brings in new collectors but a part of me is sad to see they are using this platform. There are so many great artist out there doing original work I just don't get why they would use there one "art" only platform for Batman.

Now that I complained enough :badgrin: maybe I am just overreacting and this series will turn out to be completely different than I am picturing in my head.

-CasperNY- -Finnrcw- -theOutlaw- -therealchinaman- -geescube-

LTB http://trampt.com/users/Scrow/want

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:52 pm 

I tend to agree. Dunny is not for Licensed ideas; DUNNY is for original artist creations.
just my 2 cents :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:37 pm 

I really tend not to judge the concept before seeing any artwork or hearing details at all. But really theres only one way this could work for me and thats like I said, as artist interpretations and even then, i mean in my best case scenario in my head picking my perfect blend of artists and directing their work to completely fit my pre imagined images, i still really am not thrilled with this idea. I get this is a rumor so its probably nothing, just wanted to keep my opinion vocal. Keep the dunny for art centered please.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:23 pm 

at least they are 5" Dunny

and keychains

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:08 pm 

halfapparition wrote:
at least they are 5" Dunny

and keychains

That makes a huge difference, I don't mind that.

-CasperNY- -Finnrcw- -theOutlaw- -therealchinaman- -geescube-

LTB http://trampt.com/users/Scrow/want

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:00 pm 

I meant in addition to the 3" series

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:30 pm 

I like the 3 batmans but I'll be passing on a case of these.

Personally I like the idea of licensed toys on dunnys. I often pass on stuff I'd like to collect because it doesn't flow with my collection. Even my raffy/munny/etc sculpts bother me on my dunny shelf. Even the Bell pyramidun. I'm constantly borderline considering moving them off my dunny shelf and into storage or selling/trading them.

This allows me to get what I'd like from a series like this and not have it look awkward on my display. It also expands the dunny brand and sculpt to new collectors.

I'm happy to welcome it myself.

Edit: as mentioned if it was a batman series done in different artist flavors rather than just as a generic series on dunnys I'd be way more keen on grabbing more of them.

Last edited by Oisterboy on Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:32 pm 

chorus wrote:
I really tend not to judge the concept before seeing any artwork or hearing details at all. But really theres only one way this could work for me and thats like I said, as artist interpretations and even then, i mean in my best case scenario in my head picking my perfect blend of artists and directing their work to completely fit my pre imagined images, i still really am not thrilled with this idea. I get this is a rumor so its probably nothing, just wanted to keep my opinion vocal. Keep the dunny for art centered please.

I just saw the vectors.. I have a feeling that people are going to be rather disappointed.

The Dunny should TOTALLY stay art-centered. It's been a way to showcase new/upcoming/popular artists in this scene. If Dunny is used for anything else, I feel that it will lose credibility and thus will be the beginning of the end of Dunnys..

For Trade
For Sale

"Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage..."
- William S. Burroughs

Last edited by noeleaser on Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:44 pm 

at least with the Care Bears they also have the artist series coming with interpretations. Also cool with Tara's Wonder Woman but these are not my thing.

I agree Noel.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:11 pm 

Agree with you both...sigh. I understand the need to remain solvent as a company, but selling out the dunny to a license does not seem like the right move. Adding insult to injury, these just don't look great.
For those curious to see, these are up for pre-order on Martian Toys.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:12 pm 

From Spanky

Yeah... these are just licensed stuff, not artistic interpretations.

Doodle Dunnys

Good/Bad Sellers/Buyers

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:20 pm 

there are some coming that are artist driven, but the blogs nor resellers have seen them yet.
They will probably have Tara's WW this weekend at Toyfair.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:26 pm 

Can we get a DIY Dunny now then? If nothing is sacred with the dunny anymore, then theres nothing left to protect. I remember in 2005 or 2006 trying to explain to folks who were exposed to the designer toy movement from being around me, that this is art on a figure. Once its not art its kind of just a bunch of toys. I really wish they would have their stock of amazing artists do these designs. I think you have have a far more compelling licensed series to be collected if you had certain awesome artist's take on certain iconic character, vs just a commercially licensed toy. I'm so disappointed by this.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:27 pm 

It's April Fools' Day?

Awesome deals:
IgorVentura, MarcosToys, cyberann, iszcross, hu8o, Vinylsolja, bearhat, MrJames, tsoli727, kom22, Lap1-, Maki Maki, timselF, babykid, Lfarnc, Cheahpet, surfjord, elias, Quest_Ion, malac_cj, 1v1artin, jjoker1979, Merlin, HOVA, dopevinyl, Turcicus, izzy, specialaok, Merlin

WANTED:
Dunny 3": Paul Smith, LA Coop, 2009 Travis Cain (any) and Supakitch, S4 GT Kozik, Tattoo Nick Baxter and Matt Rinks, Azteca Saner.
Dunny 8": Huck Gee Insane.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:30 pm 

I have been collecting since 2007 and this will be the second series I am completely skipping (the other was the fugly Mishka series). I like Batman and I like dunnys but this does not work. One of the big problems in the past was too many dunny series each year and a lack of quality....

analog101, armenexchange, BHKidRobotNYC, bigdaddyh, bluegreenkey, brobles, C4 (2X), caelum, dave (2X), DrftDrgn21, =DuNnYnNuD=, dunnyrocks, Dupper (2X), EviL0ne (2X), FilmArchitect, griffndunn, heySuburbia (2X), HOVA, igbid, iliksprite (2X), javadoozy, jmf337 (2X), KIDCANNON10 (3X), lediscode, LOADHOLT, lui, Masago15 (2X), mistachael, (nice dream), noeleaser, Oisterboy, Omie, Pezhead23, pomasta, quentdiggy (2X), realtyguy808, Rmanintheny (2X), robbieXeff, snooker (2X), stclax, Stonesoup (2X), tattooedjester, Trademark78 (5X), VapDee/spoilerlert (10X), Vinylassasin

Last edited by ChewieOK on Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:37 pm 

ricksans wrote:
Can we get a DIY Dunny now then? If nothing is sacred with the dunny anymore, then theres nothing left to protect. I remember in 2005 or 2006 trying to explain to folks who were exposed to the designer toy movement from being around me, that this is art on a figure. Once its not art its kind of just a bunch of toys. I really wish they would have their stock of amazing artists do these designs. I think you have have a far more compelling licensed series to be collected if you had certain awesome artist's take on certain iconic character, vs just a commercially licensed toy. I'm so disappointed by this.

I will sell you my legit 3" blank

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:54 pm 

halfapparition wrote:
ricksans wrote:

I will sell you my legit 3" blank

I'm going to chill on buying anything KR for a sec and see how things play out. I love the look of the arcane series coming though, but this is making me reconsider what I want to collect at this point....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:11 pm 

wastemoremoney wrote:
From Spanky

Yeah... these are just licensed stuff, not artistic interpretations.

:lol: I don't want to crap on the artist behind the series but man, I've seen customs with more charm than this. These just feel like the normal licensed nerd garbage, from countless other companies you'd get from one of those lootcrates. I just showed this to a friend who isn't into Kidrobot stuff and he said it looks like Disney's Vinylmation, the future is now.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:35 pm 

This is disappointing on multiple levels. I mean, isn't it obvious that the Dunny is the sacred cow of Kidrobot? Artists only. How could KR / NECA even think about pooping in the pool like this? Like others have said, they should have found a middle ground. I can't imagine how many artists are dying to officially work with the Batman IP.

To make this post not entirely negative, KR have been killing it over the past year or two, especially in the Dunny department. Until now. Hopefully this isn't just the beginning of a major dilution of the brand's magic.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:40 pm 

I'm real bummed about this.

I spent the last year collecting all the old Dunnys I was in love with, but couldn't get at the time or wasn't around when they were released. Its frustrating seeing the roots of the platform be uplifted after spending some much time going back through the platform's history. I understand the company needs to make money and licensed products seems to be the direction they are aiming to achieve this. Despite this, I always believed the Dunny platform would remain sacred. Apparently, I was wrong.

I hope this isn't the death of Dunnys. I know I'll keep buying if I love the designs, but this series is definitely making me question further investments. I just wish the designs were more artist interpretations, oh well.

That being said, I'm looking forward to the Arcane Divination series and the DTA show, so maybe I need to be more selective with my Dunny collecting.