Dunnys are Dead

Get your Dunny fix here. Discuss the 3-inch series, post an 8-inch wish lists, or chat about upcoming designs.

Moderator: Kidrobot Guru

User avatar
Xeneize666
Posts: 3454
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: Dunnys are Dead

Post by Xeneize666 » Mon May 17, 2010 6:18 pm

ericericeric wrote:I WAS WONDERING THE SAME THING?
THERE WAS NEVER A DUNNY LEFT AFTER IT WENT ON SALE
NOW THERE EVERYWHERE
OR IS JUST THE CHOICE OF 8" INCHERS
MORE GEISHAS AND SHOGUN LIKE DUNNYS WITH NICE SEE THRU BOXES WOULD BE NICE
KIDROBOT SHOULD SEE WHAT THE MASSES ARE INTERESTED IN LIKE THEY DID WITH THE GOLD AND BLACK CAT(CANT REMEMBER ARTIST"

BY THE WAY "SQUINIK"DESERVES AN 8" DUNNY OR AT LEAST A 3"

SORRY ABOUT ALL CAPS!!!





Yeah, whazzap with all the caps ..?? :doubt:


GreatTransactions:AKAMAN,fletchthis,nick210214,Robinx69,lessthanthree,James342,jeanclaude,HotelVolzet,
kidstartexas,ROCSone,Dinosauria,CandyCollective,Top206,johnnymu,eoin3,linh(x2),PlasticMe(x2), busizem718(x4)Shaunmadeus,Danimalx,mattyp,dsristau,purplevg,jose2187,funnymunny,Gallery101,Nimsu,unstructure, theboywil,BMi1d,KAWSing,grant2604,Happysusan2001,JinEx,Nicocato,BrokenCircle,william,YnoD,
DunnyWhoDunnyWhat,dodgrr,Hollywood,muschelschubser,SerpentTongue,Hypoh,HighOnVinyl,saucemoola,SMPT,
reganomics813,AVATAR666,flabby,tirdman83,DeadEyesOpen,willnyc555

My Collection - >>
viewtopic.php?p=1561226#1561226

User avatar
mANNEe
Posts: 10930
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:07 pm
Location: (3 1 OH!)
Contact:

Re: Dunnys are Dead

Post by mANNEe » Mon May 17, 2010 6:56 pm

:axe:

User avatar
quentdiggy
Posts: 5609
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:52 am
Location: St. Paul!

Re: Dunnys are Dead

Post by quentdiggy » Mon May 17, 2010 7:54 pm

The caps mean he's serious!!!!
Over 5 years of awesome transactions on these boards! Pm me...

My Band, Ninja Thunderbolt :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfW8WtlV-Fg

User avatar
Kidrobot Guru
Posts: 13260
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:13 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Dunnys are Dead

Post by Kidrobot Guru » Tue May 18, 2010 4:08 am

All caps!!! No!!!!!!!! :lol:

User avatar
vinylhammer
Posts: 1667
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:17 am
Location: London

Re: Dunnys are Dead

Post by vinylhammer » Tue May 18, 2010 5:33 am

Kidrobot Guru wrote:All caps!!! No!!!!!!!! :lol:




Nice M/villian ref there Guru :lol:

User avatar
lowkey
Posts: 1346
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:46 am
Location: y.c

Re: Dunnys are Dead

Post by lowkey » Tue May 18, 2010 7:17 am

WHAT? OK!!!-LIL JOHN. this is off the beatin subject but did you guys here that song shots? frickin hilarious. :lol:
found from the ground & bound to it

User avatar
Thatsmrlazy
Posts: 549
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:56 pm
Location: Manchester UK

Re: Dunnys are Dead

Post by Thatsmrlazy » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:28 am

Seems Davey Moore got out of the game just in time :roll:

...

Re: Dunnys are Dead

Post by ... » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:20 pm

Thatsmrlazy wrote:Seems Davey Moore got out of the game just in time :roll:

Too bad he didn't benefit from it at all!

User avatar
StapleKeyboard
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: Dunnys are Dead

Post by StapleKeyboard » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:25 am

I recently just started collecting dunnys and other KR stuff and at first was puzzled why stuff on ebay was going for 6 bucks. but for the extra 4 dollars i do enjoy going to the store, and going home and opening a few BBs. I dont collect for rarity or value or anything. I collect what i like and what i think is cool. The mori chack and luck cheuh from the 2009 series are my favorite and very common. I definitely appreciate the artists and the commitment they have to us.

User avatar
Thatsmrlazy
Posts: 549
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:56 pm
Location: Manchester UK

Re: Dunnys are Dead

Post by Thatsmrlazy » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:27 am

StapleKeyboard wrote:I recently just started collecting dunnys and other KR stuff and at first was puzzled why stuff on ebay was going for 6 bucks. but for the extra 4 dollars i do enjoy going to the store, and going home and opening a few BBs. I dont collect for rarity or value or anything. I collect what i like and what i think is cool. The mori chack and luck cheuh from the 2009 series are my favorite and very common. I definitely appreciate the artists and the commitment they have to us.


I just want a golden ticket :lol:

User avatar
Jackcuzzy
Posts: 7927
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 3:04 am
Location: London, UK

Re: Dunnys are Dead

Post by Jackcuzzy » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:32 am

akn220 wrote:
Thatsmrlazy wrote:Seems Davey Moore got out of the game just in time :roll:

Too bad he didn't benefit from it at all!


I'm sure he stashed some sealed cases away in Switzerland for a rainy day.
Good deals with: Plenty of boardies. Ask around!

User avatar
StapleKeyboard
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: Dunnys are Dead

Post by StapleKeyboard » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:58 am

Thatsmrlazy wrote:
StapleKeyboard wrote:I recently just started collecting dunnys and other KR stuff and at first was puzzled why stuff on ebay was going for 6 bucks. but for the extra 4 dollars i do enjoy going to the store, and going home and opening a few BBs. I dont collect for rarity or value or anything. I collect what i like and what i think is cool. The mori chack and luck cheuh from the 2009 series are my favorite and very common. I definitely appreciate the artists and the commitment they have to us.


I just want a golden ticket :lol:


haha me too ;)

supachz
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: gardner,ks outside kc

Re: Dunnys are Dead

Post by supachz » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:30 pm

u should collect them because u like them not to make money on them. worring about what stuff is worth just ruins it and are u really a collector if all u want to do is buy them and resellin? plus i think some people sell them cheap to help fellow collectors get what they want. u would buy a car for 1000 and turn around sell it the next day to your good friend for 3000. that corparate dickhead move . if the secodary market drops the all the greedy pigs will leave the art toy scene.soungs good to me . altough i do think $10 blind boxs is to much sould be like 5 then when you get 6 duplicates it not as bad .i also think if they are each specific sculpts they should not be blind box. just a thought.

User avatar
Thatsmrlazy
Posts: 549
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:56 pm
Location: Manchester UK

Re: Dunnys are Dead

Post by Thatsmrlazy » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:02 am

supachz wrote:u should collect them because u like them not to make money on them. worring about what stuff is worth just ruins it and are u really a collector if all u want to do is buy them and resellin? plus i think some people sell them cheap to help fellow collectors get what they want. u would buy a car for 1000 and turn around sell it the next day to your good friend for 3000. that corparate dickhead move . if the secodary market drops the all the greedy pigs will leave the art toy scene.soungs good to me . altough i do think $10 blind boxs is to much sould be like 5 then when you get 6 duplicates it not as bad .i also think if they are each specific sculpts they should not be blind box. just a thought.


Sort of contradicted yourself there mate.

That's peoples problem at the moment, the fact that a full set a few months after the release is the same-ish price as a box. Its not people being greedy its the fact that you can just buy off the secondary market cheap which means Dunny's are in shops longer which lowers the rarity of the Dunny's, which lowers the hype, which lowers the interest, which turns people away from buying in the first place. Its an actual problem which has happened again and again and again with collectibles.

Its not that buyers are greedy its the fact that Dunny's will stop being made if interest isn't high enough and when that happens people that have paid a lot of money for Dunny's will be left with a bad taste in their mouth because they will know that if they had just waited they could have bought their collection for $100 not a $1000.

But to be honest I think Kidrobot have a plan. I have great faith that the guru will pass on enough info to have Kidrobot keeping us, and Dunny's safe. That's why I still buy :D

User avatar
steen182
Posts: 302
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:57 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Contact:

Re: Dunnys are Dead

Post by steen182 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:08 am

i agree with the people who have said, "buy what you like because you like it, not because of the hype."

it bugs me that people have pieces i would LOVE to own, and they don't really care.... they just have things for the sake of having them, to show off in a sense. so in that case, i LOVE when things get cheaper, so i can swoop in and rescue them and give them proper homes, away from the jerks who don't realize what they're taking for granted, or what true artistry lies in many of the figures that exist.

the thing that bothers me most, is if hype completely dies to a point where no more dunnys or whatever, are ever made again.. i'll be sad because it's fun to buy them.

to the people that only buy because of the 'game' or to complete a collection: does this mean if something TRULY awesome was released, no hype surrounded it, and it wasn't limited edition... you wouldn't buy it? that scares me.. a lot of people are missing the point.

vinyl toys are a celebration of art, and artists; making 3d sculptural work accessible for people who recognize that the value of art is in the design and the heart behind the design, rather than the resale value.
- my flickr toy gallery - my art - twitter - trampt - rotocasted
.......
good transactions: 666doll, alax, Babyfreak6, DrewBlood, eyeforaneye, Fifizzle, JayJayFool, jtoki, kannaya24, Maki Maki, MiggaWhaat, mixone, moss420, MusicMan02, Tangy, UNCLE, vinylgoddess(x2), wsg313

User avatar
Thatsmrlazy
Posts: 549
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:56 pm
Location: Manchester UK

Re: Dunnys are Dead

Post by Thatsmrlazy » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:35 am

steen182 wrote:i agree with the people who have said, "buy what you like because you like it, not because of the hype.

.


That's my rule when buying. My collection consists of my favorite/cheap pieces. If I cant justify the cost I dont buy it. I may not have a big collection because of it but I'm pleased with it.

User avatar
Zero Mistro
Posts: 1265
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Dunnys are Dead

Post by Zero Mistro » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:41 am

Thatsmrlazy wrote:
Sort of contradicted yourself there mate.

That's peoples problem at the moment, the fact that a full set a few months after the release is the same-ish price as a box. Its not people being greedy its the fact that you can just buy off the secondary market cheap which means Dunny's are in shops longer which lowers the rarity of the Dunny's, which lowers the hype, which lowers the interest, which turns people away from buying in the first place. Its an actual problem which has happened again and again and again with collectibles.

Its not that buyers are greedy its the fact that Dunny's will stop being made if interest isn't high enough and when that happens people that have paid a lot of money for Dunny's will be left with a bad taste in their mouth because they will know that if they had just waited they could have bought their collection for $100 not a $1000.

But to be honest I think Kidrobot have a plan. I have great faith that the guru will pass on enough info to have Kidrobot keeping us, and Dunny's safe. That's why I still buy :D


I agree with you! It seems like the shops are really hurting because people on here will sell their dupes for cheap, just to get them sold. And when one person has them cheap then everyone competes with that price.

i mean why go to shops and pull blinds for $10 when you can just come on here and buy all the the boardies common dupes for about $6, save yourself $4 and use the money you save on the blinds to get your chases.
It really kills the market. and makes dunny's more worthless.
good trade with carcrashheather, silviajdm,blackandblueNH, luckyscrm

Gunnzo.com Get your vinyl here

supachz
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: gardner,ks outside kc

Re: Dunnys are Dead

Post by supachz » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:57 pm

how did i conterdiced myself? i think we are mainly taken adout commons here seems like rares are still bringin good money (woebot 2 tone is goin for 65 or more ). i have pulled a couple rares that i really like and would not sell even if i could get a 100 out of them. i keep them cuz i like them.would much rather trade or customize dups or commons than resell . i would not pay 15 or 20 for acommon. i would rather buy a couple blinds and try my luck. are u upset that your dunny arent worth more or that u cant sell them for more. seems like resellers are more mad than actullal collectors.

User avatar
NewAddictions
Posts: 959
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:49 am

Re: Dunnys are Dead

Post by NewAddictions » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:31 pm

I think kidrobot should keep the rarity of dunnys at 1/25 for the most common, that way people will be happy buying a case, and buying 2 cases means you only have 1 extra of the commons instead of 3. Make more 1/50. Never make the popular artists in the series above 1/100, it breaks hearts and ruins collecting for the average broke collector (those who have to save 2 weeks in advance before it drops)

They should up the amount of golden tickets. Idk by how much since I don't know their run sizes but it should be 1/1000.

Case exclusives are very nice. I wouldn't have bought a 2010 case without the sket relish.

Also make the runs smaller. It seems the runs have been increasing very rapidly to the point where this 2 tone series was supposed to be small but are still available at most places.

8" Dunnys should all be voted on by the board starting right now. even though they have a bunch of others comming out already. they should start having the forums consensus asap so they can start pumping out good 8" designs, because whoever is picking them out right now is not doing a good job. Although most designs would look good as 3" instead. A "free" 1 month long concensus will be worth getting their reputation back on 8" product (jessup's lucky cat) Keep prices at or below $50.

Variants should only be made for extremely popular designs. damarak was a bad idea, max from 2 tone was bad, gloomy bear from s6 was awesome because not only was it a different color, it also looked different and lots of people like it. sket condiment was perfect. kozik apples was nice!

I know kidrobot is trying to expand worldwide and therefore needs to pump out more product but they need to figure out a balance between being profitable and pleasing their fans.

Hopefully they realize what kind of designs the fans want to see, cutesy dunnys don't cut it, and I don't think people care for plastic dunnys. I would like to see more artistic interesting designs that are "rugged" (s3 hmni, sket condiments, dok a rupture, french supaskitch, 2 tone woebots, s5 KO, s9 supakitch, 2010 kozik apples, s4 lucky cat, s4 skullhead chases, kozik s2, uk mcfaul, french tizieu afro, french GT, huck i'm insane, deph.)

Of course this is all just an opinion and is not meant to start an argument. I am not giving up on dunnys but I haven't bought an 8" since jessup which was voted on by the board. 2 tone was probably the best series that dropped since i started collecting, but it also had the worst. just wasted half an hour.
Good Deals With: Desopolis, Dodecahedron, tedmcintyre, hypekickz, bboyilluminati6, luckycat77, JMDawg333, iliksprite, DannyDesign, JoeDunny, jtoki, HUhSaywHat, NSTNATE, NinjaSkillz, dunnybunny, jacranky, chronic, manikusmd, Spooky+, zukaty, ghettoaxe, elevatedflow, beatnik2, SEANIK, roguerebel, lofa, Noski*1, damnbabyja, CPISHONER, JShih21, snitz, mooshysushi, beetle665, Stave, doobie.

Huge thanks to paulzdeep, eckotyper, and luckyscrm for muling.

...

Re: Dunnys are Dead

Post by ... » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:19 pm

^ I agree with a lot of what you say, but your thoughts on ratios and cases won't necessarily fix things. 2Tone is a very limited series, but it has less appeal than Endangered or Colette and it is very easy to complete.

People also stopped buying because the Baseman isn't super sought after and it is the rarest one. Most people got what they wanted without spending much.

Everyone wanted a Swipe so people kept spending a lot on Endangered. The designs were also overall better.

If we stick to your idea of keeping the popular designs more accessible, people stop buying and the hype goes away very quickly. The series will have the appearance of selling poorly.

It's basically a trade off and I don't think there is ever a way for KR to fully win among fans. I think Endangered and S2009 were the closest thing to the most successful types of Dunny series. 2Tone should have just been insanely limited and hype would've lasted longer. That probably wouldn't have made KR much money though.

User avatar
KaDunny
Posts: 1545
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:00 pm
Location: Philly
Contact:

Re: Dunnys are Dead

Post by KaDunny » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:52 pm

@NewAddictions - I agree with pretty much everything you said except for the variants. First off, if the series isn't released yet, how is KR gonna know if a design is extremely popular or not? Because variants have to be made before the release. KR can't just go making variants of a figure after the series is released.
Another thing I'd like to add is I think it would be awesome if KR released a "revisited" series. It would be super limited, and would have iconic designs (S1 Huck, S2 Deph...) in it. But to distinguish them from the OG's, they'd have small differences (maybe Huck with an accessory, Deph with a blue variant). Maybe even some iconic 8"ers thrown in there that were never released as 3"ers.

User avatar
Zhurrie
Posts: 2379
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:38 pm

Re: Dunnys are Dead

Post by Zhurrie » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:06 pm

Revisited idea is awesome! There are a few from S1 and early sets that I'd love to own but never will.

If the base set, meaning one of each design, were all one rarity but then some super rare chases and exclusives (like say a few hand signed Dunnys, and/or maybe even like 1 hand-painted per artist) were tossed in, I'd be more likely to buy both cases and BBs. It doesn't hurt value because as it stands the values level out and drop over time anyhow and the desirable ones rise. Chuckboy was a great example, and the Hucks and Dok As recently. I don't think 3" Dunnys need to be ultra-expensive on the secondary market to be popular. $25-30 for a 3" Dunny is fine and expensive enough. Let other lines and pieces be pricey and ultra-collectible. It also doesn't kill a series when case layouts are not varied enough or the chase does not end up being desirable.

For me it seems like it just requires some creativity on KR's part, and they should be capable of it. I've said it before and I'll say it again, KR needs to make the focus on the art and the artists and the rest will follow.
I'm a geek, an artist, and I like cheese. Image

WTB:
2009 Supakitch/Koralie Dunny
Dok A Rupture

Some of my art: http://twistedmedium.deviantart.com

User avatar
Kidrobot Guru
Posts: 13260
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:13 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Dunnys are Dead

Post by Kidrobot Guru » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:46 pm

Have faith folks. And big thanks for the continued support. KR indeed does their best wether folks want to believe it or not. Some things are produced and released, and hopefully you dig it but of course some won't.

I definitely pass along the many suggestions, request, concerns, etc... On a regular.

You can never truly please everyone... KR is indeed doing their best to please the masses...

User avatar
ClarkR
Posts: 1028
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:44 pm
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: Dunnys are Dead

Post by ClarkR » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:27 pm

Prices hikes aside: I have a feeling that even if KidRobot reversed their timeline..meaning had the 2010 series been series 1 and the most recent dunnys were the OG series 1 and so on, there would still be people claiming things are going downhill. Its just the nature of the beast.

I know people who will fall in love with an "underground" band, tell me how great X cd is...
Band releases single off of cd X. Single blows up... band is now "mainstream".

Although cd X is still their most recent work and the only thing different about the band is the amount of people following them, my friend no longer likes them because they are "sellouts".

User avatar
Kidrobot Guru
Posts: 13260
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:13 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Dunnys are Dead

Post by Kidrobot Guru » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:31 pm

Haters gonna hate, lovers gonna love... Such is life. Keeps things interesting. :)

Post Reply