Dunnys are Dead

Get your Dunny fix here. Discuss the 3-inch series, post an 8-inch wish lists, or chat about upcoming designs.

Moderator: Kidrobot Guru

Kidrobot Guru

Re: Dunnys are Dead

Post by Kidrobot Guru » Fri May 07, 2010 6:16 am

Undead... :)

Post by ... » Fri May 07, 2010 12:38 pm

vinylhammer wrote:

When you say the rest, whom exactly are you talking about? I think many on this thread have been singing from the same hymn sheet concerning the state of KR and Dunny's. Unfortunately, KR don't seem to want to listen. Fair enough, but many are stopping their Dunny buying, me included(and watching the Dunny stock build up in our local toy shops).

I know you started this thread, which i for one was glad you did. There have been lots of interesting post's. So i was wondering wether you meant KR or the other posters on this thread?

Believe me. They listen and have reached out to the opinions of collectors. It's just a matter of time before we see improvement.

mdcn

Post by mdcn » Fri May 07, 2010 1:17 pm

When you say the rest, whom exactly are you talking about? I think many on this thread have been singing from the same hymn sheet concerning the state of KR and Dunny's. Unfortunately, KR don't seem to want to listen. Fair enough, but many are stopping their Dunny buying, me included(and watching the Dunny stock build up in our local toy shops).

I know you started this thread, which i for one was glad you did. There have been lots of interesting post's. So i was wondering wether you meant KR or the other posters on this thread?

More than anything I'm directing my comments directly at KR but I'm also pointing the finger at those collectors who seem to be blindly ignoring what's really happening, or I should say happened. mANNe nailed it on the head when he talked about being a hardcore collector who's lost almost all interest in a matter of months. I thought to myself, "man I feel the exact same way." I've been collecting Dunnys since 2005 but now the desire to keep up with them is gone and sadly, like myself and some others have been saying from the get go, KR is mostly to blame.
Great sellers/traders: Awesome cash deals with jmf337 and minor D. Awesome trades with lulu.

Zhurrie

Post by Zhurrie » Fri May 07, 2010 1:35 pm

I'm new to vinyl but FWIW from a semi-noob, I enjoyed Dunny's at first because of the connection of toy and art (two of my favorite things) I liked a few of the artists in particular which was a bonus. I then branched out to the larger vinyl game and really like Touma because his stuff was slightly edgier and stylized and pieces like the Goon were nice and large and made an impact. I had seen 3A and kind of dismissed it. Then I really took a second look at 3A and realized it was exactly what I was looking for, darker, grittier, artistic, more of an underground feel to the whole thing. KR then in the meantime really didn't release anything major or awe-inspiring, my attention shifted because supporting a small operation which was all about risk was more my thing to overly safe and corporate.

All that said it might see like I am "done" with KR, but nothing could be further from the truth... I'm done with this overly sanitized and profit-centric portion. There is NO reason KR couldn't put out work in the vein of 3A and do it well with some great artists and vision. Not a copy, but just add a line or branch the Black line out a bit. There are darker artists and more mature areas to explore, not in a gross-out or gore/over the top way. Fantasy for instance, that is something I love and is way under-represented in Vinyl. Even if it were a joint effort with say Magic: The Gathering or those artists, you would have a great line of cool stuff with the broad appeal that KR needs.

Stop thinking inside 3" boxes and one-size-fits-all price-points and steal back some thunder!
I'm a geek, an artist, and I like cheese. Image

WTB:
2009 Supakitch/Koralie Dunny
Dok A Rupture

Some of my art: http://twistedmedium.deviantart.com

Post by ... » Fri May 07, 2010 1:51 pm

Zhurrie wrote:I'm new to vinyl but FWIW from a semi-noob, I enjoyed Dunny's at first because of the connection of toy and art (two of my favorite things) I liked a few of the artists in particular which was a bonus. I then branched out to the larger vinyl game and really like Touma because his stuff was slightly edgier and stylized and pieces like the Goon were nice and large and made an impact. I had seen 3A and kind of dismissed it. Then I really took a second look at 3A and realized it was exactly what I was looking for, darker, grittier, artistic, more of an underground feel to the whole thing. KR then in the meantime really didn't release anything major or awe-inspiring, my attention shifted because supporting a small operation which was all about risk was more my thing to overly safe and corporate.

All that said it might see like I am "done" with KR, but nothing could be further from the truth... I'm done with this overly sanitized and profit-centric portion. There is NO reason KR couldn't put out work in the vein of 3A and do it well with some great artists and vision. Not a copy, but just add a line or branch the Black line out a bit. There are darker artists and more mature areas to explore, not in a gross-out or gore/over the top way. Fantasy for instance, that is something I love and is way under-represented in Vinyl. Even if it were a joint effort with say Magic: The Gathering or those artists, you would have a great line of cool stuff with the broad appeal that KR needs.

Stop thinking inside 3" boxes and one-size-fits-all price-points and steal back some thunder!

I agree overall with what you're saying, but what bothers me the most is that KR is heading in this "fine art" direction too much. It's nothing like what KR was at the beginning. KR's toys and clothing were simple, they popped, and they reflected a cooler underground culture. Graffiti is definitely a bit more mainstream these days, but I'd still like to see it continue to be a big part of KR. Yes artists like Toofly and Pon are graffiti artists and being used currently, but it's used sparingly. Sometimes it's hard to express my point clearly, but if KR had us list the top 50 KR toys or designs of all time, that'd be a pretty great way to judge what should be made in the future. Honestly anything in the I Am Plastic book would be sufficient as an example of what they should be doing. I can look through that book and never get bored.

nicklee13

Post by nicklee13 » Fri May 07, 2010 3:31 pm

I never liked the comparison of threeA to Dunnys. It's really apples to oranges. Only thing they have in common is that they are toys.

I'll tell you one thing about KR. Here you can actually say what you want.

Zhurrie

Post by Zhurrie » Fri May 07, 2010 3:56 pm

I'm not comparing 3A or Dunnys to anything. I'm saying that KR doesn't just have to be Dunnys. It has tons of clout, it has the operations and facilities, it has tons going for it.

Like I said, partner up with a license like Magic: The Gathering or pull from the hundreds of artists that create art in that space. The monsters, heroes, etc. all would translate to toys amazingly well and carry some great artists. I know a lot of those guys and their work (outside of Magic) is amazing.

Dunnys are a platform. A canvas. They are great because they allow for massive numbers from a single mold and process. There is and will be a market for that. KR doesn't just have to be about platforms with repetitive forms. Add a line that has a cohesive theme but allows for a lot of varyance in form. It would spark a lot of new interest, it will catch existing interest, and it would be a huge boon for the customizing and DIY crowd to have some cool new forms to pull from.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, KR has a lot going for it, but they do lack in creativity and innovation. I think that is what needs some work to really snap people back and make people take notice. As it is we just sit around waiting for the next 8" which most everyone will slag because it is overly safe and $75 and the next Dunny set which will be overly safe, a platform we all know well, may infringe upon previous designs and $10. ...or black skulls with plastic gold teeth for $200 which crash servers due to excitement.

WTB:
Dok A Rupture

nicklee13

Post by nicklee13 » Fri May 07, 2010 4:13 pm

Zhurrie wrote:I'm not comparing 3A or Dunnys to anything. I'm saying that KR doesn't just have to be Dunnys. It has tons of clout, it has the operations and facilities, it has tons going for it.

Like I said, partner up with a license like Magic: The Gathering or pull from the hundreds of artists that create art in that space. The monsters, heroes, etc. all would translate to toys amazingly well and carry some great artists. I know a lot of those guys and their work (outside of Magic) is amazing.

Dunnys are a platform. A canvas. They are great because they allow for massive numbers from a single mold and process. There is and will be a market for that. KR doesn't just have to be about platforms with repetitive forms. Add a line that has a cohesive theme but allows for a lot of varyance in form. It would spark a lot of new interest, it will catch existing interest, and it would be a huge boon for the customizing and DIY crowd to have some cool new forms to pull from.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, KR has a lot going for it, but they do lack in creativity and innovation. I think that is what needs some work to really snap people back and make people take notice. As it is we just sit around waiting for the next 8" which most everyone will slag because it is overly safe and $75 and the next Dunny set which will be overly safe, a platform we all know well, may infringe upon previous designs and $10. ...or black skulls with plastic gold teeth for $200 which crash servers due to excitement.

Believe me, I have been very vocal and critical about KR's pricing strategies and business practices way before you posted this.

Sure, I am not blind. Everyone knows Dunnys are a platform and given it's long history some designs get repetitive. I still enjoy Dunnys because I want to see the next great design some artist is going to do. You say "repetitive forms" like it's a dirty word. How many colorways of Brambles and Berties and False Friends have you seen the past 6 months?

And Magic The Gathering x KR? I say this respectfully - but it's the worst idea I ever heard.

KR definitely can use a kick in the rump, but I still have admiration and respect for the company because of what they have done for our hobby and the industry. It seems to me most collectors nowadays completely forgot what this hobby is all about. For me it began with a simple joy of opening an inexpensive blind box and talking to likeminded people about toys. Now, people are going in debt to buy the latest and greatest releases and looking for ways to exploit others so they can buy more stuff.

Zhurrie, I don't know if you're doing this intentionally but you encourage me to write these long diatribes often.

Zhurrie

Post by Zhurrie » Fri May 07, 2010 4:39 pm

I'm a verbose kinda guy ;)

Magic has been around for over 18 years and was one of the first things to get artists out there and known to a wide and largely non-art audience. Even if you disregard the game or anything else, they have employed and credited the artists on each and every card from day 1. (There was a short point somewhere near the middle when they stopped putting the artists names on the card but that was short lived and ill-conceived.) Tying into that masive pool of artists, without any license, is extremely smart. I have been close friends with a number of them for many years and their styles vary greatly and in very cool ways. Get Frank Frazetta. It doesn't matter, the point is that something with some varying form and a theme would be a great move

I agree that the costs are insane, I wish BBs were $5 or so even if they had to make the vinyl thinner or different. I agree that the excitement of opening a BB and pulling the one you want is exhilirating and great fun. But not when, like you said, you have to start selling organs for a 5th Lady Aiko.

Keep the platform stuff, I like variation on a single form. But add a line or two that branches out a bit and is more varied. But more than just one piece every quarter which is hit or miss.

WTB:
Dok A Rupture

lowkey

Post by lowkey » Fri May 07, 2010 4:41 pm

Blah blah blah whamp whamp blahdee frickin blah.
found from the ground & bound to it

nicklee13

Post by nicklee13 » Fri May 07, 2010 5:11 pm

lowkey wrote:Blah blah blah whamp whamp blahdee frickin blah.

Ha!

That is exactly what I was going to post before I took the time to write something constructive. :lol:

Post by ... » Fri May 07, 2010 5:44 pm

nicklee13 wrote:

Ha!

That is exactly what I was going to post before I took the time to write something constructive. :lol:

:lol: It's ok. lowkey is always a negative nancy who can't deal with other people standing up for their beliefs. He likes to accept the way things are and live an extremely banal life. the only problem is he tries really hard for everyone else to live the same way.

nicklee13

Post by nicklee13 » Fri May 07, 2010 6:22 pm

yeah but it was funny!

mdcn

Post by mdcn » Fri May 07, 2010 11:01 pm

Hey anyone picking up the 8" Tado?
Great sellers/traders: Awesome cash deals with jmf337 and minor D. Awesome trades with lulu.

vinylhammer

Post by vinylhammer » Sat May 08, 2010 2:35 am

mdcn wrote:

More than anything I'm directing my comments directly at KR but I'm also pointing the finger at those collectors who seem to be blindly ignoring what's really happening, or I should say happened. mANNe nailed it on the head when he talked about being a hardcore collector who's lost almost all interest in a matter of months. I thought to myself, "man I feel the exact same way." I've been collecting Dunnys since 2005 but now the desire to keep up with them is gone and sadly, like myself and some others have been saying from the get go, KR is mostly to blame.

That's what i thought you meant ;) :lol:

vinylhammer

Post by vinylhammer » Sat May 08, 2010 2:37 am

mdcn wrote:Hey anyone picking up the 8" Tado?

F*@k Yeah :lol: :lol:

I've got my camping chair and Thermos and i'm ready for the queue

g force

Post by g force » Sat May 08, 2010 3:02 am

The weird thing is and I say this as a non-Dunny and non platform toy collector (I have I think 3 - Cycle, Kozik chef and Baroness Greed 8") is the constant use of the same people in series. Yeah I know Dunny's have to sell but IMO a series should stand on it artistic merit not the names of the designers.

The first few series had a buzz because yes they were new but they also had variety. IMO using the same people over and over is a sign from KR that they don't think the artistic element is strong enough to sell a series so instead they drop in a Kozik/MAD/Baseman/Visell/Huck design or two, or three.

In other words they've stopped becoming art toys and are now just commoditised blobs.
mANNEe wrote:The chase comes with a refund and a hand written apology from Paul himself.

lowkey

Post by lowkey » Sat May 08, 2010 6:21 am

akn220 wrote:
nicklee13 wrote:

Ha!

:lol: It's ok. lowkey is always a negative nancy who can't deal with other people standing up for their beliefs. He likes to accept the way things are and live an extremely banal life. the only problem is he tries really hard for everyone else to live the same way.

i really love the part about extremely banal life. you put the nail in the coffin. and the negative nancy is def. an accurate description of me. actually its the other way around my silly geisha looking friend. its you who is negative so i try to be the ying to your yang and voice my opinion,(which is the point) ps i could care less bra. in fact your the one who constantly writes something rude everytime i post. i think you have a thing for me. seeing that your everywhere i go that is. not because you think your the bees knees cause you worked at kidrobot. :roll: have a wonderful weekend.

nicklee13

Post by nicklee13 » Sat May 08, 2010 9:04 am

Come on now. Play nice.

Isn't it about time we put this thread to bed? For people to have this many comments about the subject clearly demonstrates Dunnys are NOT dead.

Speaking of Dunnys, I was playing around with sculpy the other day, and I was trying to sculpt a Dunny out of Sculpy. I used a three inch Dunny for reference and really studied the lines and curves. The experience only reaffirmed what I knew all along. The genius of Dunny is it's sculpt. There are so many complex compound curves that is very hard to capture. Especially when you look at a Dunny from the side you will really see what I am talking about.

Say what you want about the 8" designs, prices, or whatever. I still say the sculpt of Dunny is absolutely genius.
Last edited by nicklee13 on Sat May 08, 2010 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

lowkey

Post by lowkey » Sat May 08, 2010 9:25 am

your right akn and i just hugged :D

Post by ... » Sat May 08, 2010 11:48 am

lowkey wrote:your right akn and i just hugged :D

Yep! :goodman:

fail2evolve

Post by fail2evolve » Sat May 08, 2010 11:53 am

i agree that dipping into MTG's pool of artists would be teh secks (especially if they got a Brom piece made), but i still feel pretty strongly that KR should do a little digging next to the giant tree they've become and find their roots again. There is new talent amongst street artists that is literally popping up every hour of everyday, not to mention all of the fabulous aerosol artists that KR hasn't collaborated with yet.
People I'm comfortable dealing with: Hypnotiq, Fuller, Eyeforaneye, DrftDrgn21, Chrisosaur, Irulan, Zombiemonkie, Pomasta, dunzo, esro, nerviswr3k, AlbertOne, blackandblueNH, CasWunn, Janeeliz22 (if i forgot you, pm me)
I would never deal with Art Asylum Boston or Jason Zenga. This is why.

How to Prep your Dunny (by Mezzn and Fail2Evolve) http://vimeo.com/24965810

quentdiggy

Post by quentdiggy » Sun May 09, 2010 9:39 am

akn220 wrote:
lowkey wrote:your right akn and i just hugged :D

Yep! :goodman:

Wow is that gay...and now I know why lowkey doesn't type much ever. His shift buttons are broken off evidently. Sounds like a pretty lowkey dude.....wait...that's his name!

ANYWAYS, my toy life has gone like this: A few years ago, Bought 7 Trexis one day because I was interested at my local mall. Remembered seeing Dunny ad in Juxtapoz, searched for local stores, found one, bought case of French at trading party and traded for a bunch of older ones that night (got the Kozik Clockwork, Jessup Closed-eye Cat, MAD citizen, and two commons for my 123Klan). Saw Derbot 8" for $50, got it, got a bunch more 8ers and stopped buying cases. Plucked my faves off of the bay. Then KR price hike on 8"ers, crashed sites, low releases on my faves (Ron ENglish and Saner) making it impossible to get the day of release and I begin to explore my options....find Dok A, 3A, Coarse, Pushead, Mist, Kozik Busts, etc....and I found better ways to spend $75 and get a hell of a lot more for it. That's where I am at now. We should have boycotted at $50 when we had the chance... :doubt: I really used to love this company too, and I keep hoping but.... :cry:
Over 5 years of awesome transactions on these boards! Pm me...

My Band, Ninja Thunderbolt :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfW8WtlV-Fg

mdcn

Post by mdcn » Sun May 09, 2010 1:40 pm

Lowkey you're such a tool. The guy just sent me a PM badmouthing me but I'm not in 2nd grade bro. I'm 33 years old and keep my comments to the board.

lowkey

Post by lowkey » Sun May 09, 2010 1:42 pm

mdcn wrote:Lowkey you're such a tool. The guy just sent me a PM badmouthing me but I'm not in 2nd grade bro. I'm 33 years old and keep my comments to the board.

:lol: you so funny