Dunnys are Dead

Get your Dunny fix here. Discuss the 3-inch series, post an 8-inch wish lists, or chat about upcoming designs.

Moderator: Kidrobot Guru

Post Reply
User avatar
mdcn
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:23 am
Location: Chicago

Dunnys are Dead

Post by mdcn » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:28 am

Is it just me or does it seem like the bottom has fallen out of the collectibility of dunnys? Sure I still enjoy them and appreciate most of the work that the artists do on them but as a collectible they seem to be going the way of baseball cards and Beanie Babies (not that I ever collected those damn bears.)

What keeps collectibles going strong is the secondary market and for the most part dunnys have lost a vast amount of their secondary value. In fact they've lost most of their initial value. You can go to eBay right now and grab 13 or 14 of the Fatale series dunnys for less than $6, which we all know is $2 less than what they cost at retail. Just a week ago, I saw a seller that had about 10 series 2 dunnys and most of them sold for $9.99!

And let's talk about the 8 inch dunnys. Now that they are $75 they take days to sell out (which isn't a bad thing) but again if you wait a month or two you can find most of them on the Bay for $60 or less.

By raising prices, whether Kidrobot realizes it or not, they have shot themselves in the foot because except for a few pieces here and there, the secondary market is dead.

Dropping prices are good for commodities like corn and oil but it's bad for collectibles. It's disheartening.

Sound off boardies - do you agree or think I'm a fool?


Great sellers/traders: Awesome cash deals with jmf337 and minor D. Awesome trades with lulu.

User avatar
quentdiggy
Posts: 5607
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:52 am
Location: St. Paul!

Re: Dunnys are Dead

Post by quentdiggy » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:02 pm

I sold all my 8" Dunnys except the Shok-1 Warhead because the Dunny is an iconic design and I need ONE great one in the house. I do have the Huck 20" tho... 8)

After the French series they just kept coming with the series...I mean If you were to collect every Dunny you'd be up to your neck. They should release a series like every 2-3 years....keep it exclusive to some extent. I do agree, but Paul got Rich off this so it worked. Will it work in future? Prolly not for long. I do think the downward spiral has started with 3A and COARSE stealing the limelight. AND they seem to really care about their customers so KR really got the bar raised on them. We will see how they adjust....
Over 5 years of awesome transactions on these boards! Pm me...

My Band, Ninja Thunderbolt :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfW8WtlV-Fg

User avatar
Samurai Lincoln
Posts: 1982
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:20 am
Location: Rivetland

Re: Dunnys are Dead

Post by Samurai Lincoln » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:54 pm

Oh, thank god! This conversation hasnt happened in about two weeks.
There are roughly 46,000 some odd people on this board. I like about twenty of them. You aren't one of those people.

User avatar
Palefoxdesign
Posts: 374
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:24 pm
Location: Derby UK

Re: Dunnys are Dead

Post by Palefoxdesign » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:03 pm

I'm sure like many collectability isn't what dunnys are about for me at least dunnys are all about the design, i've found aout about soo many designers that I now love I'm just happy to have them tbh I'd love it if they were all just dirt cheap then I could get all the ones I like. :D
Image
My trampt: http://trampt.com/u/palefox

good buys from: WiiFat, HakkaJai, Arcady, apeboy, lunchbox likes dunny, zukaty, JoelyV, HGFan, johnrussellf(x3), pishposhping Teimaru,adik.na.chinoy, Manzel (awesome trades)

nguyenma
Posts: 360
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:17 pm
Location: Calgary AB, canada

Re: Dunnys are Dead

Post by nguyenma » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:26 pm

I do agree the secondary market is dying.. but i believe its due to the ratios of the dunny. 3/25... of course your not gonna get much money from it..
as for the 8icnhers, i think the designs arent that great compared to what they use to be. a lot of people have been saying the design are way to simple for them to buy for 75$. for example (you can argue with me) gloomy bear... such a simple design for 75$, not to mentioned i have like 10 of the 3inchers at home in a box...
Looking for any of hucks dunny or custom dunnys!!
My Sale thread!http://forums.kidrobot.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=165900
My Collection http://forums.kidrobot.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=149792

Good Buyers:
ghettoaxe, Kablamoo, Modern HeRo, nvs03lex

Good sellers:
Dickisonk, Yup (Great Seller!!!), Jmo1200, Evilrabbitry, PHIENOMENAL, aquaphase, eyeforaneye, iliksprite, brando222, orangeroad, mANNEe, AW117, stupid-idiot, luckyscrm, Plur511

Good Trader:
robynndarcy

User avatar
Amethystcape
Posts: 2562
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:37 pm

Re: Dunnys are Dead

Post by Amethystcape » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:34 pm

Samurai Lincoln wrote:Oh, thank god! This conversation hasnt happened in about two weeks.


:lol:

User avatar
mdcn
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:23 am
Location: Chicago

Re: Dunnys are Dead

Post by mdcn » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:38 pm

Samurai Lincoln wrote:Oh, thank god! This conversation hasnt happened in about two weeks.


I don't waste my time getting on here every two weeks so I wouldn't know.
Great sellers/traders: Awesome cash deals with jmf337 and minor D. Awesome trades with lulu.

User avatar
maraudandembezz
Posts: 3830
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:01 pm

Re: Dunnys are Dead

Post by maraudandembezz » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:58 pm

mdcn wrote:
Samurai Lincoln wrote:Oh, thank god! This conversation hasnt happened in about two weeks.


I don't waste my time getting on here every two weeks so I wouldn't know.



oh! Z-Snap! :lol:
my sales thread: viewtopic.php?t=130944
my etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/foowahu?ga_sea ... _usernames

Great deals with: Mendez, laconciencia, mellibuns, doughyboy, bo0sterxme, tk001,
bk_bk, machalatto, omgwtflmao, soliddawn, qc84,
xxclandestinexx, Gazpacho, djfohm, barnettkthrn, BHKidRobotNYC,
mzkayDi, adik.na.chinoy, Trademark78, ZERO27, Sidd, ratmloud,
analog101, BMXBENF, jmf337, Dodecahedron, Crushgroove,
MoeTheHoe, bboyilluminati6, ckwok528, lui, bluegreenkey,
JoeDunny, cyberann, droppixel, Turcicus, hellscrape and more!

User avatar
Zhurrie
Posts: 2379
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:38 pm

Re: Dunnys are Dead

Post by Zhurrie » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:07 pm

I won't make any judgements of fool or not, but I'll offer a newcomer's POV. It does seem that a saturation point has been reached with so much product (from so many sources) and less disposable income for many. This happened with baseball cards, CCGs, comic books, etc. They got super hot, super fast, then everyone wanted a slice of the pie, a glut of product of varying quality floods out there and then things begin to decline. It's a natural progression. The one thing here is that there is art involved. Albeit many of these artists are "underground" or "low brow" or whatever label folks want to put on it. Some will continue to become recognized and esteemed, some will not. To me it doesn't matter, if I like the artwork now, I'll like it in 10 years, 20, etc. I couldn't care less if it is "valuable." Some will, no doubt, gain in value over time.

Coming in fairly fresh, I looked at the checklists/sets and picked out the couple from each series that spoke to me (not even paying attention to rarity). I found that in every case my favorites were either commons, or really rare chases. I'm not interested in sets (maybe one will eventually grab me), I'm not interested in value. I also have been as much into obtaining some great prints and work from my favorite artists. I think a vinyl piece to go along with the print is pretty cool and adds an extra dimension that I like to do even with my own artwork.

I do enjoy the hunt of opening BBs to try for a cool chase or one I want, but I have limits, I'd rather buy the single if after 6 or so without pulling it. At that point I've dropped ~$60 and even a $100 piece is worth cutting the losses, enjoy the pieces I did pull, and blank and customize those I don't. I think that is the real "death" point if you will... there is that price barrier where the diminishing returns kick in for someone like me who enjoys some chance but moreso the actual art. I will say I'm more apt to buy BBs over window boxes though for some crazy reason (probably the gambling addiction :) ).

I liked your question, and figured I'd do a full answer... sorry if it's too long.
I'm a geek, an artist, and I like cheese. Image

WTB:
2009 Supakitch/Koralie Dunny
Dok A Rupture

Some of my art: http://twistedmedium.deviantart.com

User avatar
estebrook
Posts: 1405
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:54 pm
Location: cream city

Re: Dunnys are Dead

Post by estebrook » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:22 pm

people are finally realizing...huh! wait, there are vinyl toys that dont have the same sculpt and are over 8" tall! OH MY GOSH
I am a NOT OG threeA legionnaire
Image
fail2evolve wrote: scribe's got nothing but love and dedication for his art, so love and dedication are what his fans feel for him and his work.
"flying fort-mess"
FLICKR
http://www.flickr.com/photos/63292814@N05/

User avatar
KaDunny
Posts: 1545
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:00 pm
Location: Philly
Contact:

Re: Dunnys are Dead

Post by KaDunny » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:32 pm

Zhurrie wrote:Coming in fairly fresh, I looked at the checklists/sets and picked out the couple from each series that spoke to me (not even paying attention to rarity). I found that in every case my favorites were either commons, or really rare chases. I'm not interested in sets (maybe one will eventually grab me), I'm not interested in value. I also have been as much into obtaining some great prints and work from my favorite artists. I think a vinyl piece to go along with the print is pretty cool and adds an extra dimension that I like to do even with my own artwork.

I do enjoy the hunt of opening BBs to try for a cool chase or one I want, but I have limits, I'd rather buy the single if after 6 or so without pulling it. At that point I've dropped ~$60 and even a $100 piece is worth cutting the losses, enjoy the pieces I did pull, and blank and customize those I don't. I think that is the real "death" point if you will... there is that price barrier where the diminishing returns kick in for someone like me who enjoys some chance but moreso the actual art. I will say I'm more apt to buy BBs over window boxes though for some crazy reason (probably the gambling addiction :) ).

I liked your question, and figured I'd do a full answer...

For the most part, I agree with this. I usually will look at a picture of the full set and decide which ones I like, and sorta like, and don't like, and which designs I think are downright @#$%. After that, I look at the ratios for these four categories. Usually, the ones I like and sorta like are 1/50 or more (I have the worst BB luck), the ones I don't like and the @#$% are usually the 3/25. The only exception to this is Shane Jessup's 2009 Dunny. Sure, it's common, but it was my first Dunny and I happen to think it's awesome. I haven't bought a case yet, because I'm saving for an iPad, so I wouldn't know the frustration of getting a full case of @#$% designs.
I've only experienced the excitement of pulling a rare Dunny once, and it's not even that rare (S5 Huck), so I wouldn't know that either.
Zhurrie wrote:sorry if it's too long.

That's what she said. Sorry, I had to do that.

chorus
Posts: 697
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:56 am

Re: Dunnys are Dead

Post by chorus » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:45 pm

punk rock is dead
good deals w/:
fauxtograph, yup, thegfm, jmf337, johnnybagadounuts, neeonfox

chorus
Posts: 697
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:56 am

Re: Dunnys are Dead

Post by chorus » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:56 pm

wait... I thought about it.
Punk rock is not dead.
But yea.. Dunny's are dead. No point in collecting them at all anymore. You should sell them off now why you can get at least a little money for them.

What 8"er's do you have for sale? I'll help you and take em off your hands for my little nephew to play with because he likes toys and they're not for me because they are dead. Totally dead. Gone the way of the beanie baby and such.

Nephew.
good deals w/:
fauxtograph, yup, thegfm, jmf337, johnnybagadounuts, neeonfox

User avatar
Zhurrie
Posts: 2379
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:38 pm

Re: Dunnys are Dead

Post by Zhurrie » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:58 pm

KaDunny wrote:That's what she said. Sorry, I had to do that.


Don't be, it is actually what she said. ;)
I'm a geek, an artist, and I like cheese. Image

WTB:
2009 Supakitch/Koralie Dunny
Dok A Rupture

Some of my art: http://twistedmedium.deviantart.com

chorus
Posts: 697
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:56 am

Re: Dunnys are Dead

Post by chorus » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:01 pm

Zhurrie wrote:
KaDunny wrote:That's what she said. Sorry, I had to do that.


Don't be, it is actually what she said. ;)




...why would she say that? That doesn't make any sense.




Nephew.
good deals w/:
fauxtograph, yup, thegfm, jmf337, johnnybagadounuts, neeonfox

WendyKnowlton
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:17 am

Re: Dunnys are Dead

Post by WendyKnowlton » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:01 pm

that's awesome

User avatar
Zhurrie
Posts: 2379
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:38 pm

Re: Dunnys are Dead

Post by Zhurrie » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:20 pm

chorus wrote:
Zhurrie wrote:
KaDunny wrote:That's what she said. Sorry, I had to do that.


Don't be, it is actually what she said. ;)




...why would she say that? That doesn't make any sense.




Nephew.


You don't know the company I keep...
I'm a geek, an artist, and I like cheese. Image

WTB:
2009 Supakitch/Koralie Dunny
Dok A Rupture

Some of my art: http://twistedmedium.deviantart.com

User avatar
mdcn
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:23 am
Location: Chicago

Re: Dunnys are Dead

Post by mdcn » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:14 pm

_______________
Last edited by mdcn on Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Great sellers/traders: Awesome cash deals with jmf337 and minor D. Awesome trades with lulu.

chorus
Posts: 697
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:56 am

Re: Dunnys are Dead

Post by chorus » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:15 pm

Zhurrie wrote:You don't know the company I keep...



HA!! That's hilarious. I haven't laughed out loud on here until just now. :D





('m actually serious that i think its funny...)
good deals w/:
fauxtograph, yup, thegfm, jmf337, johnnybagadounuts, neeonfox

User avatar
PET1
Posts: 864
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:29 am
Location: Buffalo, NY

Re: Dunnys are Dead

Post by PET1 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:17 pm

mdcn wrote:Is it just me or does it seem like the bottom has fallen out of the collectibility of dunnys? Sure I still enjoy them and appreciate most of the work that the artists do on them but as a collectible they seem to be going the way of baseball cards and Beanie Babies (not that I ever collected those damn bears.)

What keeps collectibles going strong is the secondary market and for the most part dunnys have lost a vast amount of their secondary value. In fact they've lost most of their initial value. You can go to eBay right now and grab 13 or 14 of the Fatale series dunnys for less than $6, which we all know is $2 less than what they cost at retail. Just a week ago, I saw a seller that had about 10 series 2 dunnys and most of them sold for $9.99!

And let's talk about the 8 inch dunnys. Now that they are $75 they take days to sell out (which isn't a bad thing) but again if you wait a month or two you can find most of them on the Bay for $60 or less.

By raising prices, whether Kidrobot realizes it or not, they have shot themselves in the foot because except for a few pieces here and there, the secondary market is dead.

Dropping prices are good for commodities like corn and oil but it's bad for collectibles. It's disheartening.

Sound off boardies - do you agree or think I'm a fool?


You're a fool for putting Baseball cards and Beanie Babies in the same context.

S2009 put some faith back in Dunnys for me, but the recent slew of garbage 8" designs along with poor series like S5 and Fatale sets me back.
I'm also growing tired of seeing the same names over and over again.
Great T/S/B: ism/urban1221/JaLeo/michelleni/xshezx/litefusegetaway/reindrpz/catana68/
JesusGeek/Danimalx/twotwelve/turboice/amongthetall/gmiddleswarth/lui/caelum/
shmonster/gawein/jmf337/watty/timselF/rawkkiddo/Sevren/p1985/Haden/joealmighty/tr3e/
trustinSTARS/nvs/brandunny/tvdang/dubwars/Foxracing808/SQUEE/akn220/NSTNATE/
colamaniac/arc/touj03/Dab City 2/malac_cj

Image

User avatar
mdcn
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:23 am
Location: Chicago

Re: Dunnys are Dead

Post by mdcn » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:37 pm

_________________
Last edited by mdcn on Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Great sellers/traders: Awesome cash deals with jmf337 and minor D. Awesome trades with lulu.

User avatar
mdcn
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:23 am
Location: Chicago

Re: Dunnys are Dead

Post by mdcn » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:42 pm

_____________________
Last edited by mdcn on Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Great sellers/traders: Awesome cash deals with jmf337 and minor D. Awesome trades with lulu.

...

Re: Dunnys are Dead

Post by ... » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:44 pm

i think ima go sell me dunnys now. ill be happy with my false friends.

NYC.Parce
Posts: 2200
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:59 pm
Location: Nowhere Land

Re: Dunnys are Dead

Post by NYC.Parce » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:40 pm

Hip Hop is dead according to Nas

jus saying.....


but seriously I sold all my dunnys except my two 8" cycles and 3" cycle

jus wish I could get a green deph and id be set for life
Wants- Kaws !!!
Lemme know^^^^- I'll trade + cash!!!

I have all of this up for trade for kaws items
(mostly kaws items in this list)

viewtopic.php?p=1754733

User avatar
tr3e
Posts: 538
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:48 am
Location: Edmonton, AB Canada

Re: Dunnys are Dead

Post by tr3e » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:00 pm

Dunnys are a good gateway into the toy game, but when you see what else is out there it's hard to even think of buying another dunny. :partyman:
Good Buyers: Tesio, funnymunny, Gallery101, tAotS, vinylgoddess, PET1, SomeThingTiny, GH_ID
Good Sellers: luckyscrm, drummerboy2, Dank82, paulzdeep, Metatron1050, highland19, Gazpacho, kidrobotNY, analog101, paterpan, shye112, Hoagie, Dodecahedron, Quest1, WuzOne, mr.sqwert, nathanthepotter, SQUEE, Maki Maki, car, fit_love, JaLeo, Dickisonk
Good Traders: godspeed

Post Reply