forum home kr home

Kidrobot Discussion Boards

Welcome to the best place on the web to talk about urban vinyl toys, plush, mini-figures, toy-art, toy artists, collecting, customs, & more!

It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:47 pm 

Think I'll pass on these.

Last edited by chorus on Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:04 pm 

I think there is ONE thing that could make this work. Making series like these to appeal to a large market to allow them to make the artist series more limited. To me that would be ok and make collecting the artist series more fun again, even though it can be a pain you know we all love a limited release series.

-CasperNY- -Finnrcw- -theOutlaw- -therealchinaman- -geescube-

LTB http://trampt.com/users/Scrow/want

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:25 pm 

Scrow wrote:
I think there is ONE thing that could make this work. Making series like these to appeal to a large market to allow them to make the artist series more limited. To me that would be ok and make collecting the artist series more fun again, even though it can be a pain you know we all love a limited release series.

This idea would probably make even more sense (at least to me) if they were Batman designs interpreted by several artists,(as suggested by others here). I feel like the large market is oversaturated with generic IP designs (see Funko and Vinylmation) and most people really appreciate new interpretations of their favorite pop culture figures. That way you get them into the cool designs of their favorite series and also exposure to artists in the biz, thus making the consumer look out for more of their work.

Anyways, like everyone else here, I hope this is an anomaly and not the norm for the dunny platform :cry:

My Trampt Page

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:49 pm 

One other thing I forgot to mention...

The people who are going to buy these aren't the core KR collectors or specifically the Dunny collectors. These are going to be purchased by the people who buy Fukno etc or just buy them as an impulse. Whether the figures have ears are not is going to be of no consequence to these buyers, so why would KR use Dunny over Munny?! I'd have far less of a problem if these designs were slapped on a Dunny.

I kind of roll my eyes when fans ask companies to cancel particularly uninspired projects (e.g., Metroid Federations or whatever that game was called), but I think it would be wise for KR to pull the plug on this series if they haven't already invested in manufacturing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:09 pm 

Worst Dunny series ever! I was hoping that this was an April Fools joke. They crossed the line by using the dunny platform for licensed designs. I agree that the Warhol series is a gray area and comics is art as well but this just doesn't feel right, its a straight up funko move.
not feeling this at all.
booo!!!
[-X

Great Transactions History with: mANNEe, mylzbigglee13, mistachael, thndrstrk, yanksb11, MADCOW, rundmb, ohiheartyoux, henry17s, 1V1ARTIN, pdotcool, GiulioRobot, Vinylassasin, rosstamicahdesign, phildren2a, realtyguy808, Zhurrie, statusquo, frankmysterio, DFed, FAKIR, Soft As Sin, jus_sum_guy, luckyscrm, Fonzyau, Shibori, Rhapture, Dab City 2, jjoker1979, iamchristsao, Nicolicious, chrisosaur, samuraikiss, paul, consumption, stacyjean, KIDCANNON10, jfactor13, DREWBLOOD, toyJerk

My eBay Items | Online store | My Munny Customs | My Wish List

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:12 pm 

Wow the backlash on this has been strong. I tend to agree as well, just because I have seen so many great Batman customs on this forum even, a lot of which are much more creative in design then these.

So for me it isn't about the material, just the uninspired designs. But it is just a vector, so maybe in 3D it will be better?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:07 pm 

PLEASE CANCEL THIS SERIES!
This feels like we are watching a good friend about to drive drunk!
SOMEONE TAKE THE KEYS!!
STOP AND THINK KR!
This series weakens all the other Dunnys!

I buy a case of Dunny every series, but I will be passing on buying cases this year due to this travesty.
I fear Dunny is about to become as pointless as Funko Pop!
What a gross sad day

Also:
Marvel Labbits were a total FAIL
They couldn't give those series away!
Why put Dunny through this kind of humiliation?
What a gross sad day

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:45 pm 

The dunny has officially jumped the shark

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:03 am 

MattPower wrote:
PLEASE CANCEL THIS SERIES!
This feels like we are watching a good friend about to drive drunk!
SOMEONE TAKE THE KEYS!!
STOP AND THINK KR!
This series weakens all the other Dunnys!

I buy a case of Dunny every series, but I will be passing on buying cases this year due to this travesty.
I fear Dunny is about to become as pointless as Funko Pop!
What a gross sad day

Also:
Marvel Labbits were a total FAIL
They couldn't give those series away!
Why put Dunny through this kind of humiliation?
What a gross sad day

What's really crazy to me is that this series is coming out yet we have also had some of the best dunnys to ever come out with more to come, it's confusing to say the least.

-CasperNY- -Finnrcw- -theOutlaw- -therealchinaman- -geescube-

LTB http://trampt.com/users/Scrow/want

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:53 am 

These look like Funko more than Kidrobot for me :|

GREAT TRANSACTIONS WITH : thndrstrk / geekvinyl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:59 am 

For Trade
For Sale

"Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage..."
- William S. Burroughs

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:23 am 

I personally never looked at the Dunny as a sacred cow for Kidrobot that would never be licensed. At the end of the day, it is just a platform.

It's not a great execution IMO and even if it wasn't artist interpretations, they still could have done better I feel.

But look at it this way. They're probably taking a bet to see if they can draw people in from the Funko crowd and eventually convert them to more "art toy" buyers. We're an extremely small market in comparison to the licensed/Funko crowd so if they can get a piece of that pie, I'd say it will only help grow this scene of ours.

Doodle Dunnys

Good/Bad Sellers/Buyers

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:29 pm 

Right when KR finally seemed to be making a turn in the right direction for the first time in the past 5 years they drop this steamy pile. The other 5"ers, madballs, 20" plush, recent 8" dunnys and recent labbits have all been really good!

There is no reason to have this on the dunny sculpt, the ears add nothing to any of the designs except harley quinn's pony tails. Most of the ears are just solid colors to be hidden.

I was really hoping to see all these style of figure on their own sculpts like the other licensed figures. The worst part is having these designs on dunnys just make them look worse.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:31 pm 

If these help to keep the lights on at KR and make it possible for more artsy/limited stuff, then I don't really care.

If you don't like it. Don't buy it. Just my two cents. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:39 am 

ricksans wrote:
Once its not art its kind of just a bunch of toys. I really wish they would have their stock of amazing artists do these designs. I think you have have a far more compelling licensed series to be collected if you had certain awesome artist's take on certain iconic character, vs just a commercially licensed toy. I'm so disappointed by this.

Ditto.

ChewieOK wrote:
I have been collecting since 2007 and this will be the second series I am completely skipping (the other was the fugly Mishka series).

I like the Mishka series, but I like some brutalist-type art so that kind of explains that.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:21 pm 

Tara's Wonder Woman is awesome!
She also killed it on the care bear

"total disgrace, alot of artists have been screwed by mindstyle, this is a claim that can be backed up BIGTIME!. In fact we could write a book on it! I don't have a grudge cause my situation has been done n gone, but i know of many other HUNGRY people wanting to produce work who will never see what they so rightly deserve, payment and samples, and whatever mindstyle decides to do with your art...you will have no say or control"

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:48 pm 

halfapparition wrote:

Tara McPherson? It would be exciting to have her back in the dunny mix!

analog101, armenexchange, BHKidRobotNYC, bigdaddyh, bluegreenkey, brobles, C4 (2X), caelum, dave (2X), DrftDrgn21, =DuNnYnNuD=, dunnyrocks, Dupper (2X), EviL0ne (2X), FilmArchitect, griffndunn, heySuburbia (2X), HOVA, igbid, iliksprite (2X), javadoozy, jmf337 (2X), KIDCANNON10 (3X), lediscode, LOADHOLT, lui, Masago15 (2X), mistachael, (nice dream), noeleaser, Oisterboy, Omie, Pezhead23, pomasta, quentdiggy (2X), realtyguy808, Rmanintheny (2X), robbieXeff, snooker (2X), stclax, Stonesoup (2X), tattooedjester, Trademark78 (5X), VapDee/spoilerlert (10X), Vinylassasin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:49 pm 

ChewieOK wrote:
halfapparition wrote:

Tara McPherson? It would be exciting to have her back in the dunny mix!

not Dunny but Care Bears and Wonder Woman as a woman in her style

"total disgrace, alot of artists have been screwed by mindstyle, this is a claim that can be backed up BIGTIME!. In fact we could write a book on it! I don't have a grudge cause my situation has been done n gone, but i know of many other HUNGRY people wanting to produce work who will never see what they so rightly deserve, payment and samples, and whatever mindstyle decides to do with your art...you will have no say or control"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:50 pm 

well think posi, they scrapped the Star Wars Dunny series from 4 years ago and maybe this will be too.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:36 pm 

Do the right thing, KR. [-o<

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:10 pm 

Why the dunny... Why not the munny or mixed platform series like the ferals? Are you trying to push hardcore collectors away Kidrobot?

Also who are you expecting to shell out £10 for a 3" non stylised art toy in a weird shape? There is a huge amount of cheaper and bigger vinyl toys on Batman.

I would have been on board with a multi artist series as it would have introduced more peoplee to the platform even if I wouldn't have bought any. But this just makes me feel slightly embarrassed for collecting, I really hope this series is super limited to at least raise interest via scarcity.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:23 pm 

The box art for the Tara stuff is GREAT
If the figure inside is as cool as the box art, I would buy that Wonder Woman!

This Batman series is ruining everything

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:06 pm 

MAAARTHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

:|

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:48 am 

Things I'm upset about today, in order of importance:

1) Discovering an Ebay auction for a prototype Drunk Frog in a Bear Suit one day after it ended for $83. EIGHTY THREE DOLLARS, FOR CRIPES SAKE.

2) My dog taking forever to poo when I walk him.

3) Gal Gadot not knocking on my door to offer sexual favors in exchange for a viewing of my Neth Creatures collection (it's a really solid collection. Not sure what her problem is).

4) Rick & Morty trolling me with that fake season 3 trailer today. It's been over a year. My delicate nerd libido can only take so much more taunting.

987) A half-dead rabbit toy platform selling out because only a handful of longtime collectors aren't completely burnt out on them.

988) The potential rebirth of the art toy scene with sofubi style micro runs and unique artist-driven licensed toys. Wait, that actually sounds pretty great. I'll buy a Tara McPherson Care Bear. That thing looks gonzo as hell.

References: Squidnik, halfapparition, foto junkaay, 1v1artin, NinJaSkills, hova, gmiddleswarth, frankthefish, Chauskoskis, ClarkR, rundmb, reactor88, jennipho, thetonybot, 666ways2love, Quest_Ion, NSTNATE, SecurityGeek, dimply_gecko, tsoli727, Dupper, BOOKER73, zombiemonkie, BRADLEYAFRANK, busizem718 + more (146 total transactions)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:15 pm 

paul wrote:
3) Gal Gadot not knocking on my door to offer sexual favors in exchange for a viewing of my Neth Creatures collection (it's a really solid collection. Not sure what her problem is).

I'm not Gal Gadot but I'd like to take you up on that offer.

It's a platform and hopefully this move will bring in newer fans to revitalize the scene. Now, all the stuff that Kozik is releasing of his own design... Wonder what good stuff has been scrapped or pushed to the side...

Doodle Dunnys

Good/Bad Sellers/Buyers