forum home kr home

Kidrobot Discussion Boards

Welcome to the best place on the web to talk about urban vinyl toys, plush, mini-figures, toy-art, toy artists, collecting, customs, & more!

It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:08 pm 

Obey Giant
Obey Giant Icons
Manufacturing Dissent

* about
* gallery
* store

Shepard x Art Asylum Boston Gallery x Art 4 Hearts

My name has recently been used in conjunction with the Art 4 Hearts Auction, along with other artists. Neither Kinsey nor myself donated any art or money to the Art of Asylum Boston Gallery for any auctions, including the Art 4 Hearts auction. The auction was advertised as a fundraiser for the American Heart Association. The AHA has no record of the donation. Additionally, Neither Kinsey nor myself have given permission to the gallery to display our art or use our names.

I have and will continue to donate art to charities. I am saddened to see that someone has exploited my track record of prior donations. Please rest assured that any charity event that is posted on our website has been reasonably vetted. The Arts 4 Hearts Auction should be viewed as the exception not the rule.
- Shepard

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:40 pm 

Christ, this place just keeps getting worse and worse.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:18 pm 

Shepard is no better than art asylum. worthless, the both of them

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:23 pm 

nothing like a thief berating a cutpurse for filching.

People I'm comfortable dealing with: Hypnotiq, Fuller, Eyeforaneye, DrftDrgn21, Chrisosaur, Irulan, Zombiemonkie, Pomasta, dunzo, esro, nerviswr3k, AlbertOne, blackandblueNH, CasWunn, Janeeliz22 (if i forgot you, pm me)
I would never deal with Art Asylum Boston or Jason Zenga. This is why.

How to Prep your Dunny (by Mezzn and Fail2Evolve) http://vimeo.com/24965810

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:20 am 

Pardon my ignorance but why so much hate for Shepard? :?

sgolby, HaynMade, Mendez, gmiddleswarth, nyst, chillywilly153, melting, nyhousekid, Nicocato, chronic, BrokenCircle, JaneMancini, illek, Jonwon, ranotion, the_don, Nutter, apeboy, happysusan2001, JORDAN23, roguerebel, iliksprite, DoNk, WuzOne, nicklee13, coolvader, Aussietoyrama, rpm4, TiredChildren, dtrain, Yardarm51, kowski, gonedaddyfinch, mohawkpalace, 666ways2love, fplus, ZopBoy, the-flip, dubwars, gh0001356, thndrstrk, Shroud, LocustxReign, NewAddictions, mogwai23, haggard, madbaki, AlbertOne, desized, robbieXeff, dong32117

ThreeA Want List: WWR Nom de Plume

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:52 am 

uhm, because he makes none of his own images. he steals, and then lies about it, then tries to lie more and still not pay people for their photos. he ripped off AP, the orkin man, and who knows what else. i'd slap him in the face if i could.

People I'm comfortable dealing with: Hypnotiq, Fuller, Eyeforaneye, DrftDrgn21, Chrisosaur, Irulan, Zombiemonkie, Pomasta, dunzo, esro, nerviswr3k, AlbertOne, blackandblueNH, CasWunn, Janeeliz22 (if i forgot you, pm me)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:07 am 

No, that was Sam Flores.

WTB: My Wants: Atelier G-1 Hedorah (Blobpus tide versions), TxT Clear Helper
For sale/trade: GID Biskup Rangeas, 8" OKI NI Evil Invader, 3" Blonde Tilt, Dalek Gosho (yellow), Black Lapin, Tragnark Golem (both)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:13 am 

No, that was shepard fairey.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:45 pm 

"STATEMENT BY SHEPARD FAIREY ON ASSOCIATED PRESS FAIR USE CASE
OCTOBER 16, 2009
In an effort to keep everyone up to date on my legal battle to uphold the principle of fair use in copyright laws, I wanted to notify you of a recent development in my case against The Associated Press (AP). On October 9, 2009, my lawyers sent a letter to the AP and to the photographer Mannie Garcia, through their lawyers, notifying them that I intend to amend my court pleadings. Throughout the case, there has been a question as to which Mannie Garcia photo I used as a reference to design the HOPE image. The AP claimed it was one photo, and I claimed it was another. The new filings state for the record that the AP is correct about which photo I used as a reference and that I was mistaken. While I initially believed that the photo I referenced was a different one, I discovered early on in the case that I was wrong. In an attempt to conceal my mistake I submitted false images and deleted other images. I sincerely apologize for my lapse in judgment and I take full responsibility for my actions which were mine alone. I am taking every step to correct the information and I regret I did not come forward sooner.

I am very sorry to have hurt and disappointed colleagues, friends, and family who have supported me in this difficult case and trying time in my life. I am also sorry because my actions may distract from what should be the real focus of my case – the right to fair use so that all artists can create freely. Regardless of which of the two images was used, the fair use issue should be the same."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:19 pm 

^ precisely. plus he's a "look at me,look at me" d-bag that gets arrested on purpose in broad daylight spraypainting in a very obvious place so he could get arrested the night his show opened at the ICA.

He's effectively set back free use and graffiti acceptance by years (yep - he screwed over his own kind, openly, for media coverage and to boost his own show opening)

He is, in effect, the worst kind of person..

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:31 pm 

i love how you guys give him so much attention for hating on him so much. :D

Gunnzo.com Get your vinyl here

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:59 pm 

fail2evolve wrote:
^ precisely. plus he's a "look at me,look at me" d-bag that gets arrested on purpose in broad daylight spraypainting in a very obvious place so he could get arrested the night his show opened at the ICA.

He's effectively set back free use and graffiti acceptance by years (yep - he screwed over his own kind, openly, for media coverage and to boost his own show opening)

He is, in effect, the worst kind of person..

Set back graffiti acceptance by years? He's arguably the most accepted graffiti styled artist in the world. He's done design work for some of the biggest bands and companies out there. The Grammys, etc. The Barack Obama image alone! What other graffiti artist has their work hanging in the Smithsonian?

Whether you like or dislike his work is fine. But to say he's setting back graffiti acceptance by years? Come on...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:10 pm 

his art is accepted. the practice of writing graf is less acceptable because of the negative image/stereotypes he insists upon reflecting.

in germany, graffiti is publicly accepted. it's a crime here, and people doing things like that in broad daylight in very visible spots as a publicity stunt makes us all look like glory hog, attention whore d-bags. And now the whole world has a notion that aside from graffiti artists being this way about non-anonymous attention-grabbing, people think that graf heads believe in the practice of having paid street teams go out and do your graf for you.

Look at scribe. Cat makes his money, gets his attention for being a master at his craft, helps out everyone around him and the community at large in a major way as often as superhumanly possible. Doesn't steal, doesn't sell out his craft and peers, doesn't pull any juvenile attention grabbing stunts. With an example of a true Writer here on our boards, how can you not feel like fairey's antics set us back by leaps and bounds?

And for the record, he made stenciling and wheatpasting more acceptable. Not Writing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:28 pm 

fail2evolve wrote:
his art is accepted. the practice of writing graf is less acceptable because of the negative image/stereotypes he insists upon reflecting.

in germany, graffiti is publicly accepted. it's a crime here, and people doing things like that in broad daylight in very visible spots as a publicity stunt makes us all look like glory hog, attention whore d-bags. And now the whole world has a notion that aside from graffiti artists being this way about non-anonymous attention-grabbing, people think that graf heads believe in the practice of having paid street teams go out and do your graf for you.

Look at scribe. Cat makes his money, gets his attention for being a master at his craft, helps out everyone around him and the community at large in a major way as often as superhumanly possible. Doesn't steal, doesn't sell out his craft and peers, doesn't pull any juvenile attention grabbing stunts. With an example of a true Writer here on our boards, how can you not feel like fairey's antics set us back by leaps and bounds?

And for the record, he made stenciling and wheatpasting more acceptable. Not Writing.

I dont think shepard can help that he is famous. I honestly dont think it matters whether or not he is painting in daylight or nighttime that he wont be noticed because of his public status. i mean i highly doubt he started in 1989 thinking "Man im gunna be super famous" he just did it because he wanted to and suddenly he has a following.
We also have our own spinoffs on the things we do as well, Shepard does his thing his own way and yeah he effed up on the AP thing but c'mon we all know they saw how much $$$ and attention he was getting that the money hungry people start popping out and want a slice of that cake even though shepard made it completely different.

I love Shepards work, i have several of his prints, even drove down from SD to LA on sat to pick up the Mandala Ornament #2 print even though its going to be available online later this month. I just love what he does. :D but i like this debate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:32 pm 

saying that he made that photo different is a joke. it's the exact same photo with a filter on it.

I'm not saying he's not good at what he does. I'm just saying he's the dennis rodman of graffiti.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:36 pm 

Yeah, but doesnt that make it significant from what it was?
I mean how would you feel if Disney came in here and was like "Did you make money off that Jack and Oogie Boogie? were gunna sue you for using our design!"
You did your own thing with it (Which came out effing awesome) and made it yours. But you did take someones elses idea and applied it to your own distinct style :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:42 pm 

:badgrin: yeah, making a commission for a collector on a different platform, in a different dimension , is the same as ripping off another artist's work. Last time you get a custom from me, bud.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:56 pm 

fail2evolve wrote:
:badgrin: yeah, making a commission for a collector on a different platform, in a different dimension , is the same as ripping off another artist's work. Last time you get a custom from me, bud.

huh? dude you took it out of context, and take it out of proportion. i wasnt dissing your work. i love it! I thought we were just having a convo about shepard. Sorry man, didnt mean to offend you..

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:07 pm 

I mean whether or not Shepard's art is sh!t he is doing a good thing by sh!tting on art asylum.

to add another element to your argument how many wheat pasters and stencilers use their own images for the art their making? I think part of the appeal of that field of graf is that it steals something popular and makes it cheeky or different. There is an obvious appeal To Fairey's work, it rarely has to do with the images but how the images are portrayed. If graf writers didn't steal ideas then we wouldnt have wildstyle and freakin' full train cars. I don't rush out to buy dudes artwork but I def respect what he has done for it. Everyone does some butterfinger bag things from time to time simply for attention. Everyone makes mistakes. I know a million artists but I know very very few that have to put legal thought into their work. that goes with art and music alike. That can be a pretty heavy cross to wear. When you're all of the sudden looked at through a microscope.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:10 pm 

caswunn wrote:
I mean whether or not Shepard's art is sh!t he is doing a good thing by sh!tting on art asylum.

to add another element to your argument how many wheat pasters and stencilers use their own images for the art their making? I think part of the appeal of that field of graf is that it steals something popular and makes it cheeky or different. There is an obvious appeal To Fairey's work, it rarely has to do with the images but how the images are portrayed. If graf writers didn't steal ideas then we wouldnt have wildstyle and freakin' full train cars. I don't rush out to buy dudes artwork but I def respect what he has done for it. Everyone does some butterfinger bag things from time to time simply for attention. Everyone makes mistakes. I know a million artists but I know very very few that have to put legal thought into their work. that goes with art and music alike. That can be a pretty heavy cross to wear. When you're all of the sudden looked at through a microscope.

I hear what you're saying, without biting hip hop in all of it's forms would be nonexistent. And I know the whole, "good Artists borrow, great artists steal" thing, but it should have been:

"Good artists steal, Great artists steal well"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:27 pm 

I'm a glad to hear that artists are starting to step up against AAB and their shady ways.

WTB ~ Anything LAU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:34 pm 

fail2evolve wrote:

Come on, get over yourself. Why is it that you think so highly of yourself? You just started customizing not too long ago, and your pieces are rough, at best. You're always speaking in this condescending and arrogant tone, you moderate the boards as though you were appointed by the Guru himself to be his assistant, and you act as though you are some great artist who is far ahead of his time. How much is that you charge for your extremely amateur customs? $20 dollars? Try charging what some of the real artists and good customizers do and see if anyone will sign up to get one of your sub par pieces then.

WTB ~ Anything LAU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:06 pm 

south_paw wrote:
fail2evolve wrote:

Come on, get over yourself. Why is it that you think so highly of yourself? You just started customizing not too long ago, and your pieces are rough, at best. You're always speaking in this condescending and arrogant tone, you moderate the boards as though you were appointed by the Guru himself to be his assistant, and you act as though you are some great artist who is far ahead of his time. How much is that you charge for your extremely amateur customs? $20 dollars? Try charging what some of the real artists and good customizers do and see if anyone will sign up to get one of your sub par pieces then.

no, i try to help others constantly, either by helping watch for possible scams in the looking to sell thread or giving away free stuff and all the links/references i can. I've commited felonies for people I've never even met on these boards, trying to get their pieces and money back.

As for being the Guru's assistant, I've already tendered my application and eagerly await his reply. :D

:badgrin: And I don't think very highly of myself at all, guy. If you knew s#it about psychology, you'd probably realize i have incredibly stupid problems with self esteem and insecurity. But you seem to follow me around and catch feelings enough that you might be in a worse boat.

As to my art, I appreciate your candor, but my sales and associations speak for themselves. I'm consistently blessed with the opportunity to work with several very valued artists who don't share your opinions. and 20$? no, sorry. the last three incher i sold went for 90$. (and if you think it was a fluke, it's the second time i sold it in two weeks- because the og buyer had a family emergency and needed loot like crazy. What does your last custom look like?

You should probably mind your own business if you're not going to bother doing your homework.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:05 pm 

I do my homework. Art Asylum Boston is lame. I like Shepard's work, but not all folks do. Rather than complain about how unfairly hyped he is, how bout you spend that energy making your own art. Win-win.

2cents

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:15 pm 

Fail2evolve, you are ridiculous, believe whatever you want to believe.

WTB ~ Anything LAU