forum home kr home

Kidrobot Discussion Boards

Welcome to the best place on the web to talk about urban vinyl toys, plush, mini-figures, toy-art, toy artists, collecting, customs, & more!

It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to price sketches?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:18 pm 

I've got a bunch of sketches from some shows I've attended. All of them closer to the "basic" side, though some a little more in depth depending on the artist. All signed etc. I am getting rid of almost my entire collections of toys, figures, etc. While I am keeping some prints and larger toys (as well as some sketches I have framed), I am pretty sure I want to sell off a handful of sketches as well, it's better than them sitting in my garage in a box, which is where I eventually found them after looking a while.

I have no idea at all how to price a sketch. I don't want to rip anyone off or ask for anything crazy at all, but they also mean something to me and I waited in lines, etc for them. I have searched through the buy and sell forum on here as well as ebay trying to find any kind of reference point but can't find much.

I know ultimately it's just finding a happy medium of what someone wants to pay and what they are worth to me, but does anyone have a clue or can point me in the right direction?

Much appreciated!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:59 pm 

thetvirus wrote:
I've got a bunch of sketches from some shows I've attended. All of them closer to the "basic" side, though some a little more in depth depending on the artist. All signed etc. I am getting rid of almost my entire collections of toys, figures, etc. While I am keeping some prints and larger toys (as well as some sketches I have framed), I am pretty sure I want to sell off a handful of sketches as well, it's better than them sitting in my garage in a box, which is where I eventually found them after looking a while.

I have no idea at all how to price a sketch. I don't want to rip anyone off or ask for anything crazy at all, but they also mean something to me and I waited in lines, etc for them. I have searched through the buy and sell forum on here as well as ebay trying to find any kind of reference point but can't find much.

I know ultimately it's just finding a happy medium of what someone wants to pay and what they are worth to me, but does anyone have a clue or can point me in the right direction?

Much appreciated!

Instead of selling the sketches, how about giving them away with corresponding toys/art that you're selling?

IMO, sketches are kind of personal. In most cases, it's something that the artist did for you for free as a way of saying thanks for your support. IMO, It just seems kind of wrong to try and sell them. When you're paying for artwork/toys, I totally understand selling them once you no longer want them but sketches don't seem to fall into that category.

I also understand that there's a market for pretty much anything and that some people out there are willing to pay for sketches. If I ever decided to sell my sketches or sketched toys, I'd probably ask the interested person how much they'd be willing to pay and take it from there. At one point I did try and sell some sketched Munnys and I was only charging the actual cost of the Munny itself. I've also given things away before and I usually have the receiver at least pay for the shipping so I'm not losing money on the exchange.

I also understand that time is money and that you paid to go to these shows, stayed in hotels, stood in line, paid for a sketchbook or toy to sketch on, etc.. I totally understand wanting to recoup some of those costs..

Thanks for listening, I hope I provided some decent insight. please let me know what you think!

:)

For Trade
For Sale

"Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage..."
- William S. Burroughs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:51 pm 

You went to a convention and waited in line to get it, but thousands of other people have that same sketch. That's why artists draw the same basic character over and over again. They don't want them to be sold for profit, but to be a fun memento to remind you of the moment. They're originals for people who can't afford original paintings or customs.

References: Squidnik, halfapparition, foto junkaay, 1v1artin, NinJaSkills, hova, gmiddleswarth, frankthefish, Chauskoskis, ClarkR, rundmb, reactor88, jennipho, thetonybot, 666ways2love, Quest_Ion, NSTNATE, SecurityGeek, dimply_gecko, tsoli727, Dupper, BOOKER73, zombiemonkie, BRADLEYAFRANK, busizem718 + more (146 total transactions)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:33 am 

Paul knows what's up!