forum home kr home

Kidrobot Discussion Boards

Welcome to the best place on the web to talk about urban vinyl toys, plush, mini-figures, toy-art, toy artists, collecting, customs, & more!

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:26 pm 

Is there a preference among collectors as to whether the top or the bottom of the blind boxes and CC exclusives should be opened? Also, if a figure comes with an accessory will the value decrease if the accessory is taken out of its separate packaging. Thank you for your responses. :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:45 pm 

Good questions, and welcome to the boards!

Most collectors open their blinds from the bottom. Sometimes it might be because there is an extra sticker you must tear if you do it from the top, other times it might just be a habbit that people get into.

Accessories. If you are going to display them, then go ahead, open them! Especially if they are not rare Dunnys. If they are rare, and you're just afraid to do it, then don't. :lol: If the accessory is a really important part of how the Dunny looks, then open it. If it's a little thing that nobody will notice, eh. You can decide whether you do or don't want to open it. It might make your price go down like $1, and you might lose interest from the occasional insanely stingy collector who needs every Dunny with unpopened accessories and who has not ever been exposed to sunlight…etcetcetc...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:03 pm 

Meh. Nobody cares about that stuff. If they do, you probably don't want to sell to them in the first place because they're the sort of person who will complain about every little thing.

"I noticed there was a spec of dust on the side of the box. I brushed it off, but was wondering if you'd give me half my money back."

References: Squidnik, halfapparition, foto junkaay, 1v1artin, NinJaSkills, hova, gmiddleswarth, frankthefish, Chauskoskis, ClarkR, rundmb, reactor88, jennipho, thetonybot, 666ways2love, Quest_Ion, NSTNATE, SecurityGeek, dimply_gecko, tsoli727, Dupper, BOOKER73, zombiemonkie, BRADLEYAFRANK, busizem718 + more (146 total transactions)

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 7:43 am 

I'm also pretty new to collecting vinyl toys, but i always was excited seeing collection on instagrm and such.
So when i finally decided to buy my first toys a had a ton load of questions on my mind..
I bought some open and some closed blindboxes and i was pretty shocked when i first saw those open blindboxes.
They looked like a little kid opend a birthday present - and those came from an onlineshop ^^
So it was almost clear to me, that those boxes are just a little something to store the toys.

If i open a box, i always try to do as little damage as possible but to be honest i did not figure out how to open those things proper without screwing them up :lol:

nice deals:
w33zy16, leoguki, NaganamG, Manzel, Scott_Craw, FriedCoconut

~** selling toys for customizers **~

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:20 pm 

I've been collecting really casually for a few years, but am just now starting to get more into it, and I've noticed that the majority of pieces that I've bought from other collectors come with the box, foil, and any accompanying checklists/cards/stickers. How much does the original packaging contribute to a toy's value, generally? How do you guys store the original boxes? I've never given it much mind before now, only saving the boxes from the bigger pieces, but it looks like I should be saving the packaging from everything.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:14 pm 

With 3" Dunnys, I'll buy a case if it's a series I really like. The boxes get stored in that. If they're one offs or old series' that I'm trying to complete one by one, I buy boxes from the Container Store to put them in. I personally don't like flattening them.

For 8" dunnys, the boxes fit perfectly in the Container Store Basketball display cases behind the dunny itself.

For other things, I'll try to keep the shipping boxes and keep the boxes in those in my closet.

3" dunny boxes in a CS box:

Stored cases, temporarily stored CS boxes and 8" dunny boxes in the display cases

My thumbs up boardie transactions: Eiji, ClarkR, danryan, dbfree, specialaok, hitechkoolaid, Quest1, malac_cj, DrewBlood, Wyldeaxe, TEN21, xxxclandestinexxx, KIDCANNON10, igbid, MattPower, zbakes, jFactor, MusicMan02, ceralwarz, slosnailgary, griffndunn

Trampt
flickr

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 2:38 pm 

Got a great hint on opening blindboxes from IG those days.
Saw a guy opening his blindboxes with a hair dryer.. :idea: genius idea :)

i'll give it a try with my next boxes

nice deals:
w33zy16, leoguki, NaganamG, Manzel, Scott_Craw, FriedCoconut

~** selling toys for customizers **~

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 2:48 pm 

Slowmotion wrote:
Got a great hint on opening blindboxes from IG those days.
Saw a guy opening his blindboxes with a hair dryer.. :idea: genius idea :)

i'll give it a try with my next boxes

this is probably so he can feel for the rares and seal them back up to resell if they are common without it looking like they were ever opened

TRAMPT Collection

TRAMPT Artist Portfolio! Follow!

Customs for sale:
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=193936

GSA/GBA:
150+ successful positive transactions!

Cool peeps:
Shinobistinks!, DrftDrgn21, Merlin, Nicedream, Jaysin, foto junkay, DrewBlood, HOVA, Cheapet, nerps

Pending transactions: greggygreg, Frankthefish, hitechkoolaid

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:07 pm 

[quote="

this is probably so he can feel for the rares and seal them back up to resell if they are common without it looking like they were ever opened[/quote]

That's a little scummy. Why do people do this kind of stuff? I blame the parents. What are some good tips for caring for vinyl toys? What are some things that could potentially damage them that aren't obvious?

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 11:33 pm 

valaundil wrote:
What are some good tips for caring for vinyl toys? What are some things that could potentially damage them that aren't obvious?

Keep things out of direct sunlight. This may seem obvious, but if your setup is near a window and only sees sunlight maybe 20-30 minutes a day, it still builds up over time and causes fading. Non-smoking is definitely better.

One thing I'd recommend, if you have loose dunnies, is to not keep them stored in the same container/bag. They'll rub up against each other and cause paint transfer.

Also, plastic does weird things...so be wary. Here's a pic of damage from bubble wrap.
image from an fleabay auction.

Trampt
Looking to Buy
Sale Thread

Good Sellers: coreyxc4, thndrstrk, Manga_Spawn, Teimaru, w33zy16, Ghost, (nice dream), griffndunn, malac_cj, frozen_empire, glock325, therealchinaman, Chapper, ibewdunnyla, c.feng, Paul (local pickup)
Good Buyers: IndiePendent79, christopherswalls, yo0, toyJerk, montecito101
Good Trades: Jfactor

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 4:58 am 

Ouch!
Wonder how difficult that was to clean

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:59 am 

I think if it's a blind box it's less of a big deal that the box is pristine. If it's an exclusive and you know what you're getting inside it's ok to open if it's not a see through window, but most people prefer a decent box with minimal damage at least.

I personally find it's pointless to collect toys you can't see! And if you keep accessories separate you might end up losing them so you might as well display them (but keep away from children obviously). Open them up and let them breathe, but as mentioned, no sunlight and keep them dust free.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:06 pm 

acetate909 wrote:
Ouch!

Sadly this is from one of the original customs Huck did and not a production piece. The act of cleaning it probably would make it worse. Its stated in the description that Huck himself is aware of the damage and could repair it, though no mention of how much that would cost.

Trampt
Looking to Buy
Sale Thread

Good Sellers: coreyxc4, thndrstrk, Manga_Spawn, Teimaru, w33zy16, Ghost, (nice dream), griffndunn, malac_cj, frozen_empire, glock325, therealchinaman, Chapper, ibewdunnyla, c.feng, Paul (local pickup)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:24 am 

The_Earl wrote:
acetate909 wrote:
Ouch!

Sadly this is from one of the original customs Huck did and not a production piece. The act of cleaning it probably would make it worse. Its stated in the description that Huck himself is aware of the damage and could repair it, though no mention of how much that would cost.

Bummer!!
That's enough to ruin your day eh? :doubt:
Is this on ebay?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:03 pm 

acetate909 wrote:
The_Earl wrote:
acetate909 wrote:
Ouch!

Bummer!!
That's enough to ruin your day eh? :doubt:
Is this on ebay?

It was last time I checked. It actually came as a pair. A white and a black skullhead custom. Each one damaged from the packing.

Trampt
Looking to Buy
Sale Thread

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:24 pm 

Nice display btw

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:37 pm 

paul wrote:
Meh. Nobody cares about that stuff. If they do, you probably don't want to sell to them in the first place because they're the sort of person who will complain about every little thing.

"I noticed there was a spec of dust on the side of the box. I brushed it off, but was wondering if you'd give me half my money back."

You mean that I shouldn't be sure to include the plastic wrapper the toy came with? That might knock my price down! D:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:50 am 

Does anyone know of any places that sell good size dislay cabinets? Like 5ft tall by 2 wide by a foot deep? Rough estimate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:59 pm 

thekrazyness wrote:
Does anyone know of any places that sell good size dislay cabinets? Like 5ft tall by 2 wide by a foot deep? Rough estimate

Ikea
it's called a Detolf.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:52 pm 

sorry to continue off topic here,
I have a few IKEA detolfs, they are great. But something twice as wide and half as deep would be so great. A few people on here have something like that, any ideas?

Only advice I can offer to a new collector is to only collect what you truly love. So you won't be buying/selling/trading all the time. Although its a given that will happen as your taste changes. I remember when I had like 300 Dunnys and a dozen 12" dunnys. Now I have 5; and my girl has a few dozen. As for opening blind boxes(things I don't ever buy anymore) I always open from the bottom and store them in the empty cases inside a plastic bin. (Stoked for adventure time x KR, that will be my first blind box purchase in ages, and I WILL get a whole case) And as for accessories, take them out! they are meant to be displayed and won't lower selling costs later my much at all, unless you really jam them in there and injure the paint(more importantly the pant on the figures hand, not the accessory)

P.S. Your set up is fly. Did you make that shelf? Looks like my Mini-fig shelf my mother made me years ago. Currently housing all my Mars-1 Minis and my fatcap collection. Along with my girl's Dunnys and Milton figures from super7. Oh and Mist debilz.

Currently Looking for:
Bwana Spoons
Mars-1 Mini Figure full set (blue-gray)
3A Dropcloth Slaughterhouse 1/6
3A Marquis de Plume
Super7 Mongolion Red Jade
Paul Kaiju Slugbeard
Mutant Vinyl Hardcore
Cure Toys

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:35 pm 

bubblegumking wrote:
thekrazyness wrote:

Ikea
it's called a Detolf.

thank you so much thats perfect amd affordable, do u know of any like the dude above me asked? Like double the size wide

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:45 pm 

thekrazyness wrote:
bubblegumking wrote:
thekrazyness wrote:

Ikea
it's called a Detolf.

thank you so much thats perfect amd affordable, do u know of any like the dude above me asked? Like double the size wide

Lets keep our fingers crossed man!
Even if we find them, they will be atleast triple the cost though. Can't beat IKEAs price on a great detolf that most collectors have numerous of. I got mine on a IKEA flash sale 5 years ago for $20 each :D But the normal $70? Isn't bad either! I just installed LED strip lighting in mine for $16 for each detolf. Nowhere near professionally done, but its pretty legit! Wish i could show photos but I can't for the life of me remember my flickr password and have no idea what my yahoo email was for it, as I never used that address, it was just required :?

Currently Looking for:
Bwana Spoons
3A Marquis de Plume
Paul Kaiju Slugbeard
Mutant Vinyl Hardcore
Cure Toys

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:12 pm 

Damn I would love to see that....and im guessing u got the leds from ebay?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:26 pm 

thekrazyness wrote:
Damn I would love to see that....and im guessing u got the leds from ebay?

Nah man, amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Daylight ... Q4Z60G3674

Great product. I will figure out showing photos tomorrow. Its pretty legit for 17 bucks and 20 minutes of my time(I have amazon prime, so free 2-day shipping)

Currently Looking for:
Bwana Spoons
3A Marquis de Plume
Paul Kaiju Slugbeard
Mutant Vinyl Hardcore
Cure Toys

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:51 pm 

I just joined instagram a few hours ago, so we can go phone picture route.

Here it is in the dark at night from afar:

There are no lights on in the room at all. Just my LEDs in my case. They give a kind of like walmarty-store feeling because they are simply glued to my cases and not in aluminum fixtures or with any kind of "softening" material over the lights themselves. Looks great for $17 a piece in my opinion. I am very happy with it. I can post better photos tomorrow if you guys are interested

Currently Looking for:
Bwana Spoons
3A Marquis de Plume
Paul Kaiju Slugbeard
Mutant Vinyl Hardcore
Cure Toys