Collecting Vinyl Records?

Come here to talk about artists, art, graffiti, culture, lifestyle, and news. A forum is for everything, including the kitchen sink.

Moderator: Kidrobot Guru

Nicolicious

Collecting Vinyl Records?

Post by Nicolicious » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:18 am

The past few years my tastes have changed, and though I'm not collecting toys so much anymore, I still collect vinyl- records that is. Anyone else prefer their music all up in the analog end of things?

I have an absolute fetish for colored vinyl, and love snatching up discs that have unique visual aspects- swirled colors, picture discs, etc. I've seen die-cut records out there, and while I don't have any yet, I'm envisioning my band someday releasing something with a sawblade edge (like the hot pink one on the lower right), since we have a saw player.

Part of the reason I started a band in the first place was so that I could put out a record of my own, and I am psyched that we're releasing our first one in just a few weeks (August 2nd!). You can listen to our demo, but it pales in comparison to the tracks we recorded for the EP. I used my toy collector expertise to insist that we put out 500 plain black, and 100 limited edition purple available if you pledge to our Kickstarter.

So aside from collecting vinyl records, anyone else have a band and put out your music on vinyl? Have you done colors, splattered vinyl, etc.?

For anyone who does not collect vinyl records, you should start, and you can just pose them next to your 20" Dunnys like stacks of technicolor pancakes.

haseown

Re: Collecting Vinyl Records?

Post by haseown » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:18 am

i collect records and our group is putting out 100 limited edition clear discs sept

paul

Post by paul » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:23 pm

I wouldn't say I "collect" records, but I have an old record player and lots of great albums I picked up for next to nothing at used record stores in the late 1990s. I miss those days, when you could get the best album ever made for 50 cents. 8)

www.allvinyls.com

References: Squidnik, halfapparition, foto junkaay, 1v1artin, NinJaSkills, hova, gmiddleswarth, frankthefish, Chauskoskis, ClarkR, rundmb, reactor88, jennipho, thetonybot, 666ways2love, Quest_Ion, NSTNATE, SecurityGeek, dimply_gecko, tsoli727, Dupper, BOOKER73, zombiemonkie, BRADLEYAFRANK, busizem718 + more (146 total transactions)

Kidrobot Guru

Post by Kidrobot Guru » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:03 am

I am indeed a huge record collector. Addicted.

orlowone

Post by orlowone » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:03 pm

I have about 1000 records from when I dj'ed all the time, and god knows how many i've collected since then. Anything that strikes my fancy. I usually go to Goodwill and pick up a few every time. Last time I got a mint The Who: Live at Leeds and a Tom Waits album.

I also have some fantastic special discs:
Return of the Jedi picture disc (Ewok on one side, Luke with green saber on the other)
Pac Man Disco picture disc
Mr Lif 10" die-cut picture disc
Green Jelly die-cut picture disc
Tool's 2 disc EP with the picture disc artwork by Alex Grey

and I just purchased Jack White's new album Blunderbus on limited edition black and blue vinyl. Check out 3rd Man Records for some crazy vinyl. He made a record that smells like peaches!
I'd rather be good than popular. You want it, come and get it.

NinJaSkills

Post by NinJaSkills » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:31 pm

I used to have HUNDREDS of records. I was a wanna-be Hip Hop DJ...Michael Jackson Thriller picture disc among other gems!
I'm trying to help some under privileged kids have a fun and warm Christmas AND give a way a bunch of cool stuff!!

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=240247

Please help out if you can and please sign up! Tis the season!!!

Soaringboots

Post by Soaringboots » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:48 am

I collect. This is one of my favorites. :rock:
want
stuff I have to trade
my collection

Good trades with: Chapper, Bundleofjon, wigalicous, c.feng, unoudid
Good transactions with: Turbobert, Flinst0wned

halfapparition

Post by halfapparition » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:40 pm

I collects and have put out 7"s and Lps before when I ran my own dinky hardcore label.
It is fun. The sawblade will run you mad $$$ and have seen a bunch do it.

One of my favorite odder records is a skull shaped, one sided, glow in the dark on screen printed non playable side, split lp. One band plays forward and the other backward. It is kinda nuts.

I never used Rainbo since United is in my town and I can check everything out personally. They have come a long long way and have done epic-crap. the stuff they are doing with Jack White is insane like the liquid filled lp and the 7" inside 12" etc...

Anyway have fun and never get your mastering done at the record plant :)
from SKET
"total disgrace, alot of artists have been screwed by mindstyle, this is a claim that can be backed up BIGTIME!. In fact we could write a book on it! I don't have a grudge cause my situation has been done n gone, but i know of many other HUNGRY people wanting to produce work who will never see what they so rightly deserve, payment and samples, and whatever mindstyle decides to do with your art...you will have no say or control"

Kidrobot Guru

Post by Kidrobot Guru » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:08 pm

Whoa, that rec looks awesome!

zohaa

Post by zohaa » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:09 am

Is there any relation to you and that awesome shop in Amsterdam.
zoha

Mongo Lloyd

Post by Mongo Lloyd » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:25 pm

Recent pick ups, I have a few thousand records and tons of special editions.

Recommended Sellers/Buyers:
"useless toys(x2)" "jjH8te" "jedijordan2046" "liveordunny" "donkeykonk" "Gothamite80" "DrewBlood" "Johnny_Gringo" "Merlin" "MidasTouch357" "yourfacehxc" "mannyx" "Nicknards" "therealchinaman" "quentdiggy" "Shibori" "APsychoCareBear" "Hatch" "malac_cj" "Pandasashi" "Mouser47" MANY MANY MORE, losing track of them all!!!

NEW Online Library & Marketplace for Designer Toy Collectors! Check it out and sign up @ http://trampt.com/u/Mongo_Lloyd

DirtyDiva

Post by DirtyDiva » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:52 pm

I used to collect in the 80s. Lots of my friends have been getting back into it. One of my faves Image

Yes, I know... Spectacularly cheesy :) I had horrible taste in music, apparently.

Other stuff: https://www.flickr.com/photos/dirtydiva ... 025314046/
My thumbs up boardie transactions: Eiji, ClarkR, danryan, dbfree, specialaok, hitechkoolaid, Quest1, malac_cj, DrewBlood, Wyldeaxe, TEN21, xxxclandestinexxx, KIDCANNON10, igbid, MattPower, zbakes, jFactor, MusicMan02, ceralwarz, slosnailgary, griffndunn

Trampt
flickr

Kidrobot Guru

Post by Kidrobot Guru » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:17 am

Sick one!

vincejustvince

Post by vincejustvince » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:39 pm

What bitrate are these vinyl records?
Positive transactions: jiveSEVEN, supershallow, chirulazo, abysmaldesign, killbunny

daethdrain

Post by daethdrain » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:31 pm

i'm not too far into my collection yet, so far i've gotten a few records of albums that i grew up with, albums that introduced me to other genres and that kinda shaped my taste, and sometimes impulse buys of some albums i really gt into for a while and then never bothered listening to again.

i have played these god knows how many times